Fordson N torque settings

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Stacker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson N torque settings

Post by Stacker »

Hello all,
I am new here my father currently has the engine pulled apart on his 1936 Fordson N , we were wondering about torque settings when it comes time to put her back together, or were torque settings an issue back then ??? Also if there is any Irish lads on here is there any one on Ireland or on the web doing engine parts for the said tractor ??
Thanks Stacker

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson N torque settings

Post by Dandy Dave »

No real torque values were used in the early days. Usually in the old Fordson F, and N, and the model T for that matter, Henry Ford would say to get a wrench of a certian length, and pull only so hard on it as to make everything equal. LOL... Oh yeah,?,?, Right,... ohhh... Henry. :? I would be willing to bet that this is why there were so many head gasket blowouts in the old days.

Today we have touque charts with bolt grades and sizes listed. You can fine one on line by googling it. Use one of these. The most importiant things to torque are going to be the head gasket, rods and main Bearings, and the flywheel if you have it off. The manifold, carb, timing gear cover, pan. and other pieces you will only need to tighten with reasonable snugness.

I'm not in Ireland, but my kinfolk on my Dad's side originated from Dubblin. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
As Dave said torque settins on those fordsons is non existant . I asked my dad the settins for my e27n and he laughed and said the same Thing :) . an old boss said to me the ultimate tightness of a nut or bolt is the point just before the thread strips or tights tight and too tights er to be polite not good :lol:

I would go with what Dave said with the torque chart but work up to the max figure in steps and feel whats going on and quit if ya feel the thread start to pull out. that casting is old and ya never no how good the treads in the block are. i've had majors pull threads at 80 ftlbs the torque is 90 ish. also clean the threads out in the head bolt holes good as i've had them with 60 years of crud rammed in the bottom of the hole the stud goes tight and the head still leaks as its not tight.
Regards Robert :)
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

With that said, don't go by major torque specs as Super 6954 only used that as a reference. They are much lower for a gas powered N than for the newer diesel. If I was in the field and had to make an educated guess, I would say the head would be at about 55-65 Foot LBS per foot on a F or N. The rods would be around 35 to 45 foot LBS. It has been a long time since I have been that deep into an F, but, I think the mains would be about 80 -90 Foot pounds. A flywheel I would torque at about 65 to 75 Foot pounds. Check it against a bolt chart, and the size of the bolts before proceeding. On a tractor that old I would go with the specs on a Grade 5 Bolt. Bolts are measured by the size of the threaded shank, Not by the size of the wrench that it takes which I find a common mistake with some of my customers who dream of being mechanics. :shock: This may be too much info, but it is better to be safe than sorry. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Stacker,

Torque settings were available for the E27N Kerosene engine, which would also suit the Model N. They are as follows:-

Main Bearings. 9/16 12 TPI 125ft/lbs before burnishing operation.
Main Bearings: 9/16 12 TPI 90-95ft/lbs after burnishing operation.

Cylinder Head: 1/2 13 TPI 65-70ft/lbs.
Crankcase: 7/16 13 TPI 50-55ft/lbs.
Crankcase: 1/2 13 TPI 55-60ft/lbs.
Conrod Nuts: 1/2 20 TPI 65-70ft/lbs.
Cylinder Front Cover: 1/2 13 TPI 55-60ft/lbs.
Manifold: 9/16 12 TPI 80-85ft/lbs.
BarryM

Stacker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Stacker »

Nice one, cheers Barry. :D