Fordson Model F Gear Shift Pattern

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
John Perusello
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Model F Gear Shift Pattern

Post by John Perusello »

i am just wondering if anybody knows the gear shift pattern on fordson model f tractors mainly the usa dearborn michigan tractors as i havent seen anything written or stamped anywere on the tractor i know you have to feel out were the reverse and the forward gears are does anybody know how to tell the gears with out looking or were on the the tractor is it written or stamped and does anybody know why the gear shifter is the shape it is with the ring or loop at the top?.John

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson Model F Gear Shift Pattern

Post by Dandy Dave »

It has been a while since I had an F. If I remember correctly, it is an H patern. Starting from left to right top 1st, bottom 2cd, top right 3rd, bottom right Rev. Have you ever ran an F? The clutch is a mulity disc wet clutch. When the tractors are cold and the trans oil is heavy, The clutch does not disengage very well. Often you will need to grind it into gear and stand on the clutch until it stops rolling forward. Once the oil warms up, they shift a little better. I guess this is why I never kept an F around for too long. They have their factory born quirks. Don't try to start it and drive it in close quarters. You will run into, and do dammage to something. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

John Perusello
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John Perusello »

Dandy Dave wrote:It has been a while since I had an F. If I remember correctly, it is an H patern. Starting from left to right top 1st, bottom 2cd, top right 3rd, bottom right Rev. Have you ever ran an F? The clutch is a mulity disc wet clutch. When the tractors are cold and the trans oil is heavy, The clutch does not disengage very well. Often you will need to grind it into gear and stand on the clutch until it stops rolling forward. Once the oil warms up, they shift a little better. I guess this is why I never kept an F around for too long. They have their factory born quirks. Don't try to start it and drive it in close quarters. You will run into, and do dammage to something. Dandy Dave!

i have heard about the gear shifter not wanting to work if the oil is not fully warmed up i wouldent want to grind any gears could do alot of damage to the inside if the transmission and yes they do have alot of quirks but considering they are still really early tractors and they dont have any stuff the later ones have but in saying that alot of other tractors made around the same time dont have as many problems as the fordson's seem to have.John

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

When you get it running, you will figgure it out. Either get a little agressive with the gear shift to get it rolling, or let the tractor idle in the yard and do not go anywhere. We use to get lined up with first gear and put our foot against the shifter and kick it in. These early fordson Transmissions are tough and everyone that was built was shifted the same way for years. The weak point is the worm drive bull gear. It is made of bronze and if you try to tow it around, You can strip some of the teeth off. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major