Fordson Model F hand crank

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
John Perusello
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Model F hand crank

Post by John Perusello »

i have quiestion about the hand crank on fordson model f tractors this would be for both the dearborn michigan usa and cork irland model f tractors as i am shure their is no diffrance between them i am wondering should the crank sit upwards or sit down towards to the ground i have seen some people doing both with their cranks wich way did they come from the factory it is not a big issue just thought i would ask as alot of other tractors with front cranks have them upward.John

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson Model F hand crank

Post by Dandy Dave »

The reason for keeping the crank up is too keep it from getting caught and bent, or broken, on objets sticking up in a field. Or from getting rammed into the dirt while going though a ditch or furrow in a field. Riding around a show field, you may never have a problem, but in working conditions a low hanging crank was a problem. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

John Perusello
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John Perusello »

did they make strap to keep it up in place? i do see alot of fordsons and other makes that do use straps to hold the crank up the crank will hold itself up but a holder or srap is better.John

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I'm not sure if the Fordson F's came from the factory that way, but it was common place to have a leather strap to hold the crank at a horizontial position on many makes of tractors, and also, early hand crank automobiles. You would have to look in a Fordson F parts book and see if one is listed. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major