P6 Seals and Gaskets

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

P6 Seals and Gaskets

Post by E45NP6 »

G'day.

i need to replace the water pump ( water pump to radiator? ) gaskets on the P6 i recently perchased. I'm looking at ones from the UK but they don't specify if they fit the P6.

Also the seals in the brake drums need to be replaced, im looking at ones for the E1A major and wanting to know if they are also compatible.

I'm sure with all the wisdom on this site someone can help me, are they compatible?

P.S. how do i know if it's a factory fitted p6? is it something to do with the oil filler?
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: P6 Seals and Gaskets

Post by Jerry Coles »

Take a look at my post under Australian E27N's. In the picture there you can see that this E27N has only one Fuel filler cap so it couldn't be used for a Petrol/TVO engine. Also the fuel tank outlet doesn't have a two way tap and sediment bowl. If I remember its a solid brass tap assembly.
I think!
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

In answer to your question regarding the radiator gasket I can confirm that they are all the same, as the top radiator tank is the same between P6 and TVO. In fact I reused the gasket off the TVO engine when I put the P6 engine into my E27N.

Henk has kindly put together a database of seals and bearings http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/ ... arings.pdf Looking at it quickly it looks like the E1A seals are a different size. However with seals I have found that most good bearing suppliers will be able to match one for you if you take the old one in to them. At least with Henk's database you will know what size it needs to be.

As for how to identify a factory P6, that is a hard one if the conversion was done completely with the full kit. Age of the tractor comes into play because no factory conversions were done before a certain date. Others will no doubt be better qualified to give more information, but in my experience most "farmer conversions" took short cuts and things like battery cariers and electrics were not done properly. As far as I am aware the parts used in the factory conversion and the after market conversion kit were identical, but I might be wrong on that. Personally if it has all the right bits and is well done it doesn't matter to me.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

Thank you Aussie Frank for your information.

Everything is present on mine, no short cuts taken, so it's either factory fitted or a REALLY good conversion.

Does anyone know where to purchase the C.A.V. fuel filter square felt pieces from? is there any replacement i can use?

thanks, E45NP6

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

E45NP6,

There are two types of Secondary Filter fitted to the P6. One is a CAV BFA5, the other is a CAV BF11. If you look on your Filter you will see which type it is as it is stamped in to the housing. Let me know which one it is, and I can tell you which Filter will suit. It is over 30 years since the Felt Blocks were available, and were replaced by conventional elements.
BarryM

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

G'day,

stamped on to the filter next to the injector pump is BFA11.

i was also given some spares when i purchased it, amoung them was a fuel filter stamped BF11B.

it would be good to recondition both of them.

Also, what do you guru's of P6's use as a replacement for the Vokes oil filter?

Thanks

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

E45NP6,

The Elements that will suit the BFA11 Housing are :-
Baldwin 231
Mahle KX36
Crosland 453
Mann BF811.

Oil Filter Elements to suit the Vokes Housing:-
Fleetguard LF4034 Pleated Paper
Crosland 174 Felt Star
Ryco R201V Felt Star
Purolator MF115A Pleated Paper.

Can you give us the Engine Number of your tractor.
BarryM