N model Grader?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1962 model
True Blue

N model Grader?

Post by 1962 model »

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I picked up Grader I think it could be a model N going by the earlier diff type.

The engine number is R18403 this appears to have been struck out and another number 823037 stamped underneath it.

I have wondered if the engine had been replaced with an earlier one and the old engine number transferred for better parts ordering, but don't know fully yet.

It also has a 22 and a 43 on the gearbox front flange also but again don't know what this means?

This grader was 400Km from home so was a long journey to bring it home.

Mike

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: N model Grader?

Post by Dandy Dave »

There is a grader in that pile of parts??? :shock: Sort out the grader from the other stuff and post some better photos. 8) Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

No there is not a grader in those parts,
that is one half of the picture and only some of us can see the other half for some reason, I can't see the other half myself!

I have managed to work out a bit more on this grader,

It has PW 15 stamped into the main front beam this will mean main Roads number 15 machine.

It is a 1937 grader with a replacement engine, however as Ford tractors ( and cars ) of that era solely relied on engine number for parts ordering and machine serial number, it looks like when a replacement engine was fitted it scored the old number for parts ordering and registering, but also the new number too.

The new engine is a E 27N engine I suspect that these may have been a superseeded replacement part which by then had a spot to fit a starter motor.

Do you know If there is a version of starter motor which would have the clearance from the clutch housing as it of course does not have the bulge in the housing for this.

Mike

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Try and reduce the size of the photo and then reload it. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

Have you checked under the starter cover plate? If it has the original Model N flywheel it won't have a ring gear, in which case you could choose any starter / ring gear combination you want so long as the diameter of the ring gear is close to the flywheel size. You might ask your local auto elecs about reduction drive starter conversions. I know some of the guys in Ballarat have done reduction drive starter conversions on E27N P6 tractors when the starters have packed up. All you would need then is a suitable adaptor plate to get the drive centered and the hole size reduced.

I don't know the details of the starter they used as I was able to find an original stater and did not need to go down the path of the conversion in the end. I could make enquiries for you if you wish.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you Frank,
I was hoping to have something that looks fairly original, I know some starters have a sleve that the pinion gear slides out on, but i guess I would have to be lucky to get one to fit?

I do not know which flywheel it has yet so I should remove the blanking plate and have a look.

The grader is at a neighbours place so I don't have regular access to it, but he will be bringing it over to my place soon.
I have already removed the diff worm so that won't get damaged.
I have a couple of E 27 N engines here so finding a later flywheel shouldn't be difficult, just depends what pressure plate it has I suppose.

I was pleasantly surprised when the engine turned over.
Details on those replacement starters could be useful thank you.

Mike

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

edited pic from above ...
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

It may not be so easy to change flywheels from Model N to E27N. From what I understand, the Model N has a multiplate clutch and the E27N has a more standard single plate clutch. I can't imagine that the thrust bearing positions and all the other stuff would be the same between the two clutches. It will be interesting to find out what you find under that cover plate.

As for what starter to use, I think you probably have a couple of vintage style starters you could use already, given you have the odd E1A major and 590E engine floating about. You might have to get creative with an adaptor but at least they don't have the long shaft out the end of the starter.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. I will see if I can find the name of the auto elec in Ballarat and ask what model starter they used.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thankyou Frank and Tim,
The grader could be comming home to my place tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.
Frank, perhaps I can use a later starter as I have a few spare ones as you indicated.
See if this picture will give you a bit more detail.

Mike

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello agin,
I took the blanking plate off the starter hole and found that is no ring gear so am somewhat dissapointed.
I have been studdying some Fordson books and found that many parts are interchangable between E27N and N gearboxes so may be able to swap things around so I can fit a starter however there is an extra rib at the bottom of the gearbox housing to deflect extra oil into the feed pipe for the main bearings due to the different oil flows with a ring gear, so must over come this.
Have also found that the gears and ratios between the high speed gears and the Power Major seem to be very similar and in some cases the same, part number prefix should confirm or dispel the situation there.

Much work to do yet before I get into this area, I don't know what the engine is really like yet.

Mike