E27N PTO

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Hesford
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N PTO

Post by Hesford »

Hi Chaps a younger restorer here, I've bought a 1950 E27N out of a museum cleaned the points and she ran a dream. I've been given a hesford winch which i believe was a optional extra thing is I've not got a PTO on the tractor but have the parts to convert it Is it hard to do???

Ash
1950 E27N Petrol/TVO
1956 New Major Mark1

Emiel
True Blue

Re: E27N PTO

Post by Emiel »

Hello Hesford,

Welcome to the board.

Fitting a PTO to the E27N is very straight forward.

Step 1 check whether you have a low or high speed tractor and the correct pto box for your transmission. There are differences between the slow and fast speed tractor.

2 Drain oil from gearbox and rear axle.

3 remove cover below gearbox

4 fit PTO box

5 remove blind on back side of transmission

6 Fit pto shaft

7 Fit levers to the PTO box

Refil oil and work further with your tractor.

Should not take more then half a saturday, including making new gaskets and cleaning out gearbox and rear axle housing.

You should check the double lip oil seal in the pto box.

Best regars
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Hesford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Hesford »

Thanks very much for you help let u know how i got on
1950 E27N Petrol/TVO
1956 New Major Mark1

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Has your PTO been off for a while? I would strongly reccomend that the seals in the bottom of the PTO unit which keep the gear box oil out of the diff are replaced. The original ones were made of leather and time will have made them either brittle or rotten.
If the seals fail then because of the different levels of oil the gearbox empties into the diff. This means that your gearbox will have insufficient oil to lubricate and cool the gearbox and your diff will get very full and could cause pressure problems. It's not a difficult job and the seals are available from the old 20 parts people.
Do it as a precaution and it will save you a headache later.
BTW there is a lot of oil in the diff, make sure you have a very big container to hold it as it drains out very quickly.
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Hesford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Hesford »

Thank you i didn't know that I bought the PTO of a scrap tractor so will have them changed

Ash
1950 E27N Petrol/TVO
1956 New Major Mark1

Hesford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Hesford »

The pto is fitted and works well :clap: along with the belt pulley word of warning to other tractor owners/users you neeed two seals on the pto box where in goes into the diff back axle thanks for all your help :D

Ash
1950 E27N Petrol/TVO
1956 New Major Mark1