N model 16" full cast front wheels

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1962 model
True Blue

N model 16" full cast front wheels

Post by 1962 model »

Hello,
can anyone tell me if the front wheels on my N model grader are the right ones, and how hard they will be to replace as one of then is badly cracked.

I have seen three different wheels on the N model the English type cast ones with the large holes in them, about 19"dia.
Then there is the cast centre with the demountable steel rims these are 16",
and lastly are the ones on my grader these at first glance look to be the same as the New Major type full cast 16" ones, but these are different as they have a longer central hub on the outside and shorter on the inside so would not fit a new Major at all, so must have been especially made for N model.

Does anyone in Australia know where I could get a N model cast front wheel from?

Mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: N model 16" full cast front wheels

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

Can you post a photo? I have a spare set of Malcom Moore solid cast wheels to suit an E27N, but I don't know if they would fit the Model N or match your wheels. My E27N parts list does list the wheel bearings as Model N part numbers so they might fit if the axle length on the spindle was the same. You can have them if you want them but I can't imagine freight would be cheap all the way over to you as they weigh a ton.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Aussie Frank wrote:Hi Mike,

Can you post a photo? I have a spare set of Malcom Moore solid cast wheels to suit an E27N, but I don't know if they would fit the Model N or match your wheels. My E27N parts list does list the wheel bearings as Model N part numbers so they might fit if the axle length on the spindle was the same. You can have them if you want them but I can't imagine freight would be cheap all the way over to you as they weigh a ton.

Regards, Frank.
Thanks Frank,
I have a Malcolm Moore E27N loader ( bits ) here too and the wheels look to be the same as normal E27N, are yours different?

You may be able to see that the grader wheel closest has a different offset and slightly different cap the same as early E27N
I will probably have to fit E27N wheels that I have here if I cannot find a replacement, but this will widen the track and put extra pressure on the ling pins.
I may be in Melbourne in Februrary but my handluggage limit will not stretch to fitting a Fordson wheel in.
I have only seen a picture on the heavy vehicle site, of one other grader like my N model and it is on the east coast somewhere.
Thank you for your offer, Mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

I see what you mean about the offset. My E27N rims look the same as yours. Mind you the casting patern is almost the same as the E27N wheels. Malcom Moore did the castings for all the wheels on E27Ns delivered in Victoria so that style of front rim is the most common over here. Have you measured the offset difference? If it is less than the width of the outer wheel bearing, I would machine out the back of an E27N rim to the right depth and make up a spacer for the outside. Three longer bolts to hold the cap and spacer all together and you would be done. Once you had a coat of paint on it you would never tell the difference.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. If you have a spare moment when you are over here send me a PM and we can catch up.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.