N model PTO

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1962 model
True Blue

N model PTO

Post by 1962 model »

Hello,
I was wondering how hard it is to get a N model PTO, the type that is driven from the right side of the gearbox and is not centrally mounted?

Mike

brockwood
True Blue

Re: N model PTO

Post by brockwood »

Hi don’t know how right it is but I believe the top linkage drive on a e 27 was derived from the side mount on a n iv just be out in the shed and had a look and a rough measure up and the shape and stud Patten seam to be right I was looking at a 44 n and a e27 hightop which is different to a standard box thou I think its the internal gear of the drive that’s different whether it could be made to work? mix and match I believe the internals of the box are very similar but I have never had one down or a drive off of course the drive shaft would have to be remade longer and splined and a rear support bearing fitted depends to on which box you have and I presume you have the port with a blanking plate my 35 hasent hope that’s of some help b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

1962 model
True Blue

Re: N model PTO

Post by 1962 model »

brockwood wrote:Hi don’t know how right it is but I believe the top linkage drive on a e 27 was derived from the side mount on a n iv just be out in the shed and had a look and a rough measure up and the shape and stud Patten seam to be right I was looking at a 44 n and a e27 hightop which is different to a standard box thou I think its the internal gear of the drive that’s different whether it could be made to work? mix and match I believe the internals of the box are very similar but I have never had one down or a drive off of course the drive shaft would have to be remade longer and splined and a rear support bearing fitted depends to on which box you have and I presume you have the port with a blanking plate my 35 hasent hope that’s of some help b
Thanks for your reply,
I was able to see a N pto close up, and my first comment to my mate was they look the same as the E 27 N, so you may be on to something there, the shaft is longer but that should not make a big problem for a handy person.
The gears come in a variety of sizes from what I understand depending on wheather it is a low speed or high speed, or should I say what ratio intermediate gears it has?

The gears do seem to be the same from the last N models to the Super Major from what I have read, so looks like mainly a housing change, and change from the worm and worm wheel to the crownwheel and pinion that we are familiar with in the N models on.
Thanks, Mike