An Australian engine conversion

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Eric Schulz
True Blue

An Australian engine conversion

Post by Eric Schulz »

A Fordson conversion I would like to see in the flesh is the Invicible Motors one.

From the catalogue we read: 3-1/8 in. bore, 5in. stroke. Displacement, 230 cub. ins. Fitted with special exhaust manifold and bell housing to slip straight in position; equipped with high tension magneto with impulse coupling, carburettor, water circulating pump, etc. So far so good, now here comes the really interesting bit! A few pounds spent on labour and minor fittings will give you a new 6-cylinder power unit for your Fordson tractor.

I wonder did they supply engineering drawings of the parts needed? Was the front of the engine block strong enough to support the axle mounting and radiator? It looks like they supplied a radius rod mounting at the back of the sump. New radius rod needed, of course.

Invincible Motors were established in 1906 as a division of Morts Dock & Engineering Co Ltd, Sydney. Their main business was marine engines, from one to four cylinders. By the 1920’s they started including American components in their engines and by about 1930 the Australian content was gone.

There was also a branch in Chicago, USA. The firm later became a wholesale automotive and machinery parts supplier. A lot of their stock was out-dated and looked to be from bankrupt sales, etc. Their catalogues make fascinating reading.

The Fordson engine is a Rutenber, used by some American car and truck makers. The locally famous one was the Australian Six of the 1920’s. There was not a lot of these cars built before they went broke, and I wouldn’t mind betting (except that I don’t gamble!) that these engines were left overs from that car.

Eric

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Eric,
Many thanks for these interesting posts, we never saw this range of transplants and conversions over here. The twin cylinder one really looks a beast! Have you got one or seen one in the flesh?

Keep posting!!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

The CLM conversion we have would be the only one in Australia. So, the only other ones are from photos. The air start photo is from a CLM brochure.
It's good to know that I am not the only one interested in this stuff! Will do another one next week.
Getting CLM information from France is difficult. We don't speak the same language, and there doesn't appear to be a tractor club there.

Eric

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

http://translation2.paralink.com/lowres.asp

Hi Eric;
This is the link to the free translation website Ive used. You can go English to any language or vise-versa. Not perfect, but usefull.
David

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

David, thanks for that link. I have used translators before - you have to with CLM literature - but had not tried that one. When I tried it a blonde spoke to me! I have to say that she was a little lacking in personality!

Eric