E27N Hydraulic Help

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1949E27N
True Blue

E27N Hydraulic Help

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, this is my first post here (probably one of many). I have purchased an E27N to restore and am currently working on the hydraulic lift on the back.
It was creeping down fairly rapidly. I have dismantled the assembly and can see the hydraulic cylinder and bore inside. I can also see the seals which I believe need replacing.
Here's the problem - I cant get to them as I can not totally remove the pump from the housing as it has an 'external tap in line' (I think this is what is) in the way.
It's this bit here which goes into the body of the pump I can not remove. It spins around loosely but feels as though there's a cir-clip or the likes inside which I can not get to.
This is the housing removed from the tractor.
Any help would be very much appreciated,
Chris

brockwood
True Blue

Re: E27N Hydraulic Help

Post by brockwood »

HI I have one of mine down at the moment was full of water so wanted to give it a good clean out and see how it all worked with a view to fitting double remotes on my county .that piece is the remote supply pipe on mine it came off with the side plate and seamed to be held on by same its probably just held by the seal which on mine was quite firm and sort off snapped in and out. .on the side of the that pipe there is hi temp blow off will shoot a video of it soon b
Last edited by brockwood on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi heres the video hope its of some help b http://youtu.be/Ae869Z4mxDc
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

The part which you are having trouble with should pull out, the one on mine was in there quite well but it should come out
1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Thanks for the info guys, the part did just pull out.It was in there really firmly. Initially I wasn't quite game to lever it out too hard in case it was retained inside.
Thanks for the Video Brockwood, that was great.
My 'multi-leaf' springs were actually broken across the screw holes, at this stage I can't find anyone who can supply them so I've made a couple of thicker ones out of spring steel as a replacement. They are the same thickness in total but maybe more or less psi will be required to lift the ball.
Have ordered new seals (4 in total) and will fit next week, hopefully the arms will stay up a bit better then.
Will keep you posted.
Chris

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi just put gauge on two other units both doing 1600lb @3 imp gals b

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, brockwood. I really must confess, I am not a hydraulic guru by any means. I don't actually know if 1600lbs at 3imp gallons is good or not. But I am very interested to learn.
I have replaced the seals on the cylinder inside the hpl, the bore the cylinder travels in as well as the end shaft going into the pump and the one on the relief valve coming out the lefy side.
Hopefully by replacing the two internal ones on the bore and cylinder it will hold itself up.
What sort of timeframe could I expect the arms, with no attached impliments, stay up?
Chris

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

its a prety low figure but about what i expected a 5000 would nearly double that and to work a loader for example you realy need 10 gallons min or the cycling times are too slow but its quite ok for a bare tractor as far as staying up bare arms mine stay up went to my county today hadnt been going since last rally some months ago still up b

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi,
The Smiths lift's relief pressure should be set at 1750 to 1850 psi at 520 rpm that is an engine speed of 790 on a high ratio gear box or 1100 rpm on a low box. The adjustment is made with a screw driver via the grub screw in the by-pass valve tappet. One complete turn = about 700 psi. You need a cranked spanner to hold the tappet and make a "half' side cover to give access.
If the cut out piston adjustment has been altered it should be set to be on the point of operation at the above speeds under load at 1450 psi.
I have set mine up like this and they work fine.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi for moretoot imnot quite clear thow iv had mine in bits im only guesing what does what. do you have a diagram you could post .is the valve your ajusting the top one worked by the cam with the hole in it and you work threw the hole and does oil come out that in hold or just in drop .had mine on bench working on air by hand hard to tell i thought the next one down with the ajuster was to kick the handle in to hold and maybe open the vave in aux pipe in drop and bottom a detent .i thought the way the owners manual reads that the valve in the aux would hold the oil till near blow off and then supply and hold enouth back pressure to hold up linkage but when i put a hose on to check vol i had oil right away and link droped on both units i tested so then my thought had been to tap the vent outlet to get an indpendt supply but wont work if top valve vents in hold otherwise maybe put a low set blowoff like you have to pretect hyd motors between aux pipe and double acting remote b

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi Chris,
Trying to post diagram you requested - first time I've tried to do this, following Brian's guidance, hope it works.

If you can't see it let me know and I'll ask what I've don wrong.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Pat is having trouble veiwing his photo, so have reposted his comment here.
Kiwi Kev

Dear Brian,
I thought I had followed your instructions re Photo Bucket and posting but only about half the picture has been posted.
Sorry to trouble you but what have I done wrong?
Regards
Pat
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry, did not pick up the query, don't get to check all the forums on a regular basis.

I have been having the same problem with pictures but after a bit of discussion found the problem was my end. I use my computers for drawing circuit boards and had cranked the screen resolution up. I had no problem with the words in a post but could only see half the pictures. Cranked it back down to normal and everything is now OK.

The diagram in this post is perfect on my screen.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Thanks for all the info guys, it's all starting to make sense now. Haven't got the hydraulics back toghther yet, still waiting on one of the seals to come in.
I can't believe how helpful you guys have been, thanks once again.

Chris

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi, Thank you Brian , I've lowered the resolution so am trying again - hope it works this time.

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi guys, well finally got all the parts and put the HPL back together. What a difference!! The arms lift up and stay up. There have been in the fully 'up' position now for 2 days and haven't even dropped a millimetre.
The position select lever now snaps back into the neutral position upon reaching fully raised.
It seems a little slow to return down now but I think this can be adjusted further. Probably will drop a little more rapidly with an implement attached.
Over all great results and thanks everyone for your help..
Chris

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi,
Glad things are going so well, your right they shouldn't drop at all when unladen. The down speed adjustment is the slotted screw on the top plate. Winding it back allows the control lever to move further thus opening the valve further - you are quite right that it should be set with the implement attached to check the rate of fall. It is very sensitive and will need adjusting for each implement you have if their weight varies much.
Regards

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Hi,
How easy was it to get new seals for this

Thanks Matt
1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major