My first tractor Resto Grandpa's E27N

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

My first tractor Resto Grandpa's E27N

Post by enginenut »

Hi all, I'm Andrew and as the title suggests i'm restoring an E27N I live in Country WA and am a CIH mechanic by trade but work for a local farmer as a farm hand. I'll post pics as soon as I work out how......

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: My first tractor Resto Grandpa's E27N

Post by enginenut »

Can anyone tell me where to get the correct paint colour....

Thanks Andrew

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

enginenut wrote:Can anyone tell me where to get the correct paint colour....

Thanks Andrew
Helo Andrew,
I am also in Country WA and depending where you are, you may be able to get siome paint mixed, the original colour may have been Empire Blue if I recall correctly.
Have you tried to do a search of this site as the topic may have been covered already, send me a private message ( PM ) if you wish to compare locations.
Just another thought, You could try Sparex in Welshpool they supply some parts for these models.

Mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Andrew,

Empire Blue is a lighter colour than the E27N Navy Blue. Sparex sells a Blue paint listed as E27N Blue (S.84393) Melbourne Tractors just around the corner from my work can get Sparex parts and paint so I would expect that other major tractor parts suppliers should be able to supply the paint too. I can't vouch for the colour or quality of the paint though as I have never used it myself.

The other paint that I have found that matches the paint colour on my tractor very well is VHT Ford Dark Blue engine enamel. I found a patch of paint under the draw bar front mounting bracket that had not seen the light of day since the tractor was built and used that as a guide. I would not recomend painting a whole tractor in VHT engine enamel though, but it is a great way to get a good colour sample to take to a paint shop for colour matching.

The one thing I can say about the E27N colour wise is that they had quite a large variation in colour from new, some almost bordering on black and others quite blue, so prety much any Navy Blue would be correct. All of mine are different colours.

Good luck with your project and I hope you get the picture posting thing sorted soon as we would love to see some pictures.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Thanks guy's!! Frank I'm certain we have a Sparex shop in Perth (just googled it we do in welshpool :D ) so i'll go see them and see what I think, has anyone found the correct colour orange for the WA cast rims?? I found some unfaded paint under the tapered wheelnut washer so I might go see my local panelbeater and see if he can match it unfortunatly I haven't found any unfaded blue to match :(

Can we attach photo's or do I need to upload to a hosting site and link them??

Cheers Andrew

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Upload to a hosting site, that does not require a password to view them.
Then include the link in your post as ...

Mike

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Cheers mike :D

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Right here goes.......

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

nice photos hope you keep it updated

moretoot
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by moretoot »

Hi,
Interested in paint colours, I remember back in the 50's buying paint to 'touch up' an E1A Major from my local Ernest Doe depot. It was labeled Empire Blue on opening it at home I found it was the dark blue of the E27N and so took it back. I remember Alf, then in the Sudbury stores, just changing it for another tin also labeled Empire Blue of the lighter E1A colour. He told me in future to ask for light or dark - was life really simpler then?
Regards

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Hi guys,I've been busy these past few months with starting a new job an all. I have been tinkering away on her and have inspected the bearings, fitted new rings and reassembled the engine and on Anzac day i got it to fire and run sort of, had some issues with the Vapouriser got them sorted and got her to run reasonably today, long enough to boil the water in the system (radiator off, blanking plate on bottom flange and water pump fitted but no belt) and she runs as well as dad remembers so thats a start i'll post some pics when i get them off the camera and onto photobucket

Cheers Andrew

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

finally got a vid up on you tube

http://youtu.be/6FJl2Sti_H8

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Sounds like it should from here. Nice job so far. :clap: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Well last Friday night I had my first Drive, after dad and I wrestled the back tyres on! She made Her debut at the local show sans mudguards, but got a good reaction so I'm happy. I was giving me the um yeah 'those' by leaking fuel out the fuel bowl drain, till a mate suggested I check if the float has a hole in it, cue forehead slap as inspection revealed a crack in it which i will solder up at some point this week. Other than that just got to fit the mudguards and finish cleaning it. I have made the descision not to paint it as all who have seen it have commented how good she look as is, so methinks why change it!!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I would have to agree with all that say dont paint it :) My late Grandad used to love seeing these old girls in working clothes and would usually make a comment of they never left the factory like that on the over painted ones :lol: . I have one like yours that was barn stored during a restoration for 20 years( I have pictures of it when i got it in this forum some where last year). the guys helper and finally the owner died before it got done. they painted the rad and fuel tank and in the wrong shade of blue sadly . the rest of it looks nice like yours. I have found a rad to match the original finish but cant find a good fuel tank yet with matching rust :cry: :lol: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.