N air filter identification

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1962 model
True Blue

N air filter identification

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I am trying to work out the many different air filters fitted to the "N" model Fordsons.
As far as I can determine by the parts books there were about 4 different air cleaners, the "A" type water washer which started with the F model in 1917 & changed somehow in 1927 on to the N in 1937 , then was the B, C and D versions.
My 1937 grader one seems to be the B version only made for that year it has removable air inlet and outlet necks with the steel tube to the carbie having a elbow at the air cleaner attatchment, the C ad D versions seem to be the ones with the in and out necks cast as part of the cleaner body and the outlet having a bend allowing the carbie tube to be straight.
The C type has a changed rectangle drain plate similar to the 1937's and the D type was changed in 1941 to a circular screw out bung the same as the gearbox oil level one.
The D type with the integral inlet and outlet connections seems to have been supplied as replacements for most models too.

How did I go, anything to add or change?

Mike

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Re: N air filter identification

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Sounds like you,ve got it sussed

Below is a photo of the first type used on the model N from 1929 to around 32and from then a similar looking one was used but with a different steering column and inlet setup which was used until around 37

This was followed by this type which I think you have, I believe early versions were made by a company called Handy

1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

They then used this type of air cleaner with the inlet and outlets cast on and a different style of door on the bottom

Then the base was changed to have a screw in plug in around 1940/41

This was then changed to a hexagon headed plug

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you for the pictures, your apprasial of the type I have on my 1937 grader is correct and the parts books obviously allow for some changes which may be internal or other minor ones.

I have a friend who appears to have two 1941 tractors one is engine 889930 and N6015 A on the side of the block, which I think makes it Jan 1941.
The other tractor he has running the engine number is damaged and stamped with non standard font, but this may have been an over stamp when it became corroded, unfortunately the first two didgits are un readable, all I can make out is a /9964 , the / might be a 7 or 9 I am relatively new to these models and the only thing I can work out is that both these tractors have the same hexagon nut for the air filter drain, I suppose this could have been changed as you say the 1941 model has the different drain bung.
This second tractor also has a N 6015 B on the side so it could be a February tractor, but still I don;t know which year, any Ideas? It has a PTO if that makes any difference?

Thank you very much again for the pictures they help a lot,

Mike

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Sorry, meant to put that they kept the hexagon headed plug from 1941 to 45 as it was used on the early E27N as well so this was on all green model Ns