Factory rebuilt engines

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1962 model
True Blue

Factory rebuilt engines

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I have come across a few factory Fordson N & E 27 N engines and wonder if engine numbers always give the year of the tractor?

The factory recon engines I have are;

778778 ( 1932 )
T 19166 R ( rebuilt when ? ) number on gearbox flange
Block marking N 6015A ( January ?)

823037 ( 1937 ) partially struck out )
R 18403 ( rebuilt when?) at the front alongside normal number )
Block marking L 8 K ( Sept 8th ? ) Ex W/Aust main roads grader No 15

R 37306 ( can't work out date ) only engine number stamped.
Block marking M 29 S & a small NQ underneath.

So I appear to have three different ways of marking these engine depending who stamped them and if they followed the factory instruction to put the original engine number on or not, as we know the original engine number is the serial number of the tractor and is to be quoted for spare parts.

The first engine quoted was in a tractor which appeared to be a early 1940's model going by some of the fitments like the air cleaner, I wonder if it was exchanged and fitted to a later tractor as it was unlikely an exchange engine would go back into the tractor it came from? anyone could have swapped engine since too!
This 778778 engine appears to be an early Dagenham tractor engine that was reconditioned by Ford any thoughts?

The last engine quoted was in a 1950 E 27 N Fordson that was fitted with a 5th May 1947 dated Malcom Moore loader frame,
Now I have to fit it to another tractor, hopefully a bit closer to the frame date.

Any help with Identifying these engines would be appreciated, Mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Factory rebuilt engines

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

I can't help much with most of the numbers but the casting code M 29 S is Oct 29 1951 which would be possible as an exchange engine in an E27N.

The casting code L 8 K would be Sept 8 1947 if it were an E27N block, ie had the starter hole in the block casting.

Unfortunately I have no casting code information for parts produced before 1945 so the other numbers are a mystery to me.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

1962 model
True Blue

Re: Factory rebuilt engines

Post by 1962 model »

Thank you Frank,
I will do some more digging, to see what I can find.

Mike Bell