Model F Gas Kerosene Tank Repair Qestions

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
560Dennis
Not Quite Blue Yet

Model F Gas Kerosene Tank Repair Qestions

Post by 560Dennis »

I have this tank that it looks like somebody took a hammer to it. The damage is by the carburetor
Area. Looks like it beat in for it to clear something rather than frustration ,but who knows the whole story.
I want beat back out if I can . How can I get into that to hammer and dolly it back?
Can open up the ends to get to it ?
It also looks like they used lead to stop some leaks like around the fittings ?

super6954
True Blue

Re: Model F Gas Kerosene Tank Repair Qestions

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I have some tanks here that have holes and stuff in them and never seem to have much luck soldering patches in them :cry:
i am thinking cutting the end out would not be good as putting them back would be a pain unless you could find another tank to cut the ends from a bit larger to over lap and the weld the 2 together instead of butt welding, IE cutting yours an inch inside the flange and the other a bit smaller than the flange.
The other thing is does your tank have fumes in as there is a big explosion risk from welding/Grinding sparks inside if it does. I'm kinda wondering if your local car body shop has one of those guns that spot welds the pins on and then you use a slide hammer to pull the dent out and then remove the pins, then you would just have to surface fill to final finish, I don't think the heat would cause explosion problems either as it would not be sparks or naked flame and only a short burst too.
I hope this helps you a bit :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.