L4 E27N starter motor question ...

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

L4 E27N starter motor question ...

Post by RustyRelic »

Hi All,

Can someone on here confirm for me ... I have just added a Perkins L4 E27N to my fleet, but the starter motor will not engage with the flywheel ring gear, On the end of the starter motor it has 10 teeth on the starter cog. When comparing it with one of my P6 starters, a P6 which has 11 teeth. Has my L4 got the wrong cog on the end with it's 10 teeth ? Also is the flywheel ring gear the same on a L4 as a P6 ???

any help appreciated

Carl

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: L4 E27N starter motor question ...

Post by BarryM »

Carl,
Both the Perkins P6 & L4 use the CAV BS-512 Starter. Both are fitted with an 11 tooth Pinion. The P6 has 122 teeth on the Ring Gear. I am sorry I can't tell you how many on the L4. Perhaps you need to get an Auto-electrician to check out your Starter.
BarryM

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Carl,
I have now checked an L4 Ring Gear, and it has 126 teeth.
Question - Has your conversion got the correct Flywheel, etc., as there were different Flywheels and maybe different Ring Gears.
BarryM

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the info, I bought this tractor and only got it home last Tuesday the previous owner told me about the starter problem ... Off the tractor the starter is working fine. but the flywheel ring gear is a bit ruff. I have a Nuffield with a P6 in and a spare ring gear form a P6 fordson ... "on the work bench" the perkins nuffield starter meshes fine with the fordson ring gear but the L4 starter cog does not fully engage the full depth of the tooth and pinion.
here is a picture of the tracto in question http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-550495-vintage-0
I will have a check and count the teeth on the fly wheel ... I am going to have to split the tractor to change the ring gear

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

what would a perkins L4 engine be worth non runing? its scrap value?
Regards,
John

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi John,

If it was just a perkins L4 engine and none of the conversion bits to fit it to a tractor probably only scrap value. The L4 is not hard to find in good order. If on the other hand it was out of a Fordson tractor and had all of the bits to fit it to an E27N or E1A Major you could throw out the engine and sell the conversion parts for a good price I would expect. I don't know which would be more rare, the E27N conversion or the E1A conversion. I suspect the E1A is the rarer of the two.

Personally, if I had an old non running engine like that I did not have a use for and was not a candidate for rebuild I would strip it down for parts to get the maximum sale price out of it. You would probably make a lot of people with a broken L4 very happy and the left overs could still be sold as scrap.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Hi all, just to confirm and also to show the difference, abouth the starter ring gears an L4 with it's 126 teeth against a P6 with it's 122 teeth ..... The Ol' sayin "A picture speaks a thousand words"

https://picasaweb.google.com/1110639700 ... 5951702882

Carl