Hello And a question.

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
mclaren
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hello And a question.

Post by mclaren »

Hi
Just joined the forum after finding out im the new owner of a TVO E27n. For work im a steam engineer working on restoring road steam, so a tractor is a bit of a modern deal for me.

My question is can any one shed any light on why my 27 has locked up? the engine turns over and runs well and the brakes seem fine but the tractor will not move forward or backward when pushed. the lock up happened while I was driving the tractor. With out warning it just stopped and couldnt be pushed. I have taken the top plates off the back case and the gear box but cant see anything broken or damaged. If I rock the tractor theres slight movement all the way through the drive but it just wont roll.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers kevin

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Hello And a question.

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. Jack up the rear wheels and see if they turn thru the differential. If not, then you are getting closer. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Kelvin,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your E27N is not moving. The only thing I can think of is that the hand brake was left partly on and the plates overheated and welded themselves together. It almost happened to me once but I was lucky and noticed the engine was loaded a little more than usual and a slight wiff of smoke from the gearbox and I pulled the brake off straight away. From memory you can get access to the brake pack through the HPL drive cover on top of the gearbox to check it out.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Kelvin,

The handbrake sounds the most likely to me.

If you can't get to it from the top to repair you can easily split the tractor and pull the gearbox out its casing. Its not to happy compared to steam engines.

Can you post some pics of the steam engines and your tractor?

Regards
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964