Main Bearing Adjustment

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1949E27N
True Blue

Main Bearing Adjustment

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, recently I have been adjusting the main bearings on the E27N by removing shims.
My question is when I remove shims the motor is very hard to get to turn using the crank handle BUT once it gets spinning you can easily keep it turning using one hand only.
It's just the initial getting it to move which is difficult.
Do I need to add another shim, or will it 'wear in' ok?
I don't really understand why it would be so hard to budge but then freely spin once it's going?
There's plenty of oil in the mains and the crank does not appear bent as it turns round and round with even force required.
Thanks,
Chris

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Main Bearing Adjustment

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Chris,

Have you measured the clearance with a plastigauge/flexigauge to check the clearances, because I would not go too tight on the bearings. I do not have the bearing clearance specs for the E27N Petrol Kero engine but most engines need at least 1 to 2 thou clearance on the mains to give the oil somewhere to go. If you go too tight you may run the risk of damaging the bearing surface due to overheating. Unfortunately I can't give an exact figure for the clearance as it is not in any of my E27N books.

I would also make a point of reassembly with a little molly grease on the surfaces just to lower the friction a little on start up. Hopefully someone can give you an exact figure to work to.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.