what is the correct oil for a Perkins P6 ?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

what is the correct oil for a Perkins P6 ?

Post by RustyRelic »

Hi everyone,
Me and my dad are busy sorting out two e27n's with p6's and a L4 e27n to go alongside our petrol TVO model. We thought we would have a break from Stationary engines... so we are tring to recreate the tractor fleet my Late grandfather had back in the 50's which he used for his demolition and scrap metal business. A kind of nostalgia trip down memory lane.

My question's are what the the correct type of engine oil for in a P6 ?

and

to change the seal on the gear box to rear axle do you have to split the tractor behind the gearbox, or can you get at it by taking the top off the gaerbox ?

Also the P.T.O drive under the gearbox how does that come off ... I've undone the bolts but the isn't enough clearance to pull it forward, down and out ... do I need to pull the p.t.o shaft out the back ?????????

take a look at our stationary engines ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/RustyRelicsUK

Thanks in advance, Carl

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: what is the correct oil for a Perkins P6 ?

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Carl,

I am running a Penzoil HD 30 oil in my P6 as it can get rather warm over here in Australia, but my P6 manual says 30F to 80F SAE 20W or 20 and over 80F SAE 30. All the oils listed were detergent diesel oils so any diesel 15W 40 or 20W 50 for hotter temperatures would be OK. If it is an older engine I would stick to the heavier oil because unless you are working it hard it will always slobber oil out the exhaust.

As for the PTO box you will have to pull out the PTO shaft. Also the gearbox seal can not be changed without the tractor being split. Personally if you are having trouble with oil leaking from the gearbox to back axle, change the PTO seals and see how it goes, you might just get lucky and not have to change any others.

My tractor seems to have a mind of it's own in regards to oil leaks, one day it will leak all over the place (mainly the rear PTO seal) and the next there won't be a drop of oil on the ground. My seals are still the original leather seals and they seem to seal up with a bit of hard work.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Thanks for the reply Frank,
We have been busy all day, ... we have sorted the starter ring gear in the L4 and put the engine back in while we had the engine out we replaced the seal on the gearbox input shaft, took the gear box out checked the bearings and washed the gear box casing out, then reassembled and then split the tractor at the gear box/ back axle to do the back axle & pto seals. we are resealing the whole tractor as we want to paint it when it is finished ( there's nothing worse than oil leaks on fresh paint work ) we have also replaced the seals on the pedal shaft and the shaft which operates the clutch. just the brake hubs and half shafts to do. not a job for the faint hearted. we would of been knackerd with out a forklift. Meanwhile we have started to strip and give one of the P6's the same treatment. (Shes an Aussie P6 by the way) good job we checked the back axle as the oil was a real mess it was like grey Jelly so that is a job for tomorrow washing out the axle casing ... it's all about the joys of owning a E27N

Thanks again Frank

Regards Carl

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Hi all If you would like to our progress click the link

https://picasaweb.google.com/1110639700 ... directlink

Carl