E27N's Rear Wheel Differences in Australia

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1949E27N
True Blue

E27N's Rear Wheel Differences in Australia

Post by 1949E27N »

I've noticed there are a couple of different style of rear wheels on the Australian Majors
Image Image
Does the different style of wheel indicate different year models?
The picture on the right is my wheel (1949) and the left pic is off an earlier model.
Doesn't really matter at the end of the day, just curious...
Chris

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: E27N's Rear Wheel Differences in Australia

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Chris,

I have noticed a change in rim style on Victorian tractors too. Here the castings were made by Malcom Moore and the earlier rims had the flat flange like your picture shows and the later rims had the bosses for the bolts similar to yours. The other thing that changed in Victoria seems to be wheel diameter.

My 51 has 28 inch wheels.

And my 46 has 26 inch wheels.

Niether of the rims on the tractors you have shown are the same as mine, so I am presuming that you are not Victorian and the rims were probably not cast in Port Melbourne by Malcom Moore. I hope that some of the great Aussie E27N experts step in with some more information because I am curious too.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

mine and i have seveal are like franks 51 all are 28s thow i have seen 26s the inner halfs are much the same but there is a veriety of outer half widths from 3 to an 8 inch which will take a moden 16 28 i also have a set of p6 rimsthat the inner is much heavier so much so that the inside grazes the sway chain mount
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

I'm no expert..... but, I was told OZ E27n rear rims were cast in the state they were sold in as mine has different rims again to the OP's.

best pic i have at the mo' they are 24"

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Mine are 28's as well. I noticed they are very similar to Aussie Franks 51 but the "handle things" are a different shape.
By the way, what are those handle things for? Are they just to hold the wheel to put it on and off or is there another use for them?
I believe my tractor was sold new local here in QLD near Toowoomba.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

These are some of Barry M's collection. Also check out the pictures on the "Club" forum for a few more.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 216#p29341

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

1949E27N wrote:By the way, what are those handle things for? Are they just to hold the wheel to put it on and off or is there another use for them?
I believe my tractor was sold new local here in QLD near Toowoomba.
Hi Chris,

If you have ever had to change a tyre or tube on one of those wheels you will know what the handles are for. With out them it is a bugger of a job to split the rims, even with an engine hoist because you have nothing to hook on to. I had a rim with one broken handle and it took a huge effort to get it split, first I had to break the bead of the tyre which is normal proceedure, but then I needed some way of holding the rim where the handle was broken. I ended up using a bench vice (minus bench) clamped to the rim which worked fine, but it was tough to attach and added a lot of time to the job. That rim is now a fire place on my small bush block and will never need to be split again.

Regards, Frank.

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi Guys

Onto the front wheels now. Have just noticed the E27N has two different front wheels...

Front Left (notice the 19I stamped on this wheel)

Front Right

The left is also considerably heavier than the right one and has a slightly wider outer rim. It also has two raised lumps directly opposite each other on the rim (3 and 9 o'clock on the photo)

I think the left one must be off a different model Major, E1A perhaps???
I am actually trying to work out which wheel would be the original for this E27N (1949 Australian model) as I have the opportunity to swap for another matching the right.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated,
Chris

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Chris,

I can't advise on the exact date of those front wheels you have, but if you can get a matching pair by swapping one then I would do it. It is quite likely that the two front wheels have just simply come out of a different foundry rather than off a different model tractor. Without casting codes on the wheels themselves I don't think anyone could date them with any accuracy. There were just too many foundries making the wheels, all with different paterns here in Australia.

Regards, Frank.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Frank,

This photo shows the different widths of the E27N Front Rims.
Left Hand Rim is from a 1947 model and the Right Hand Rim is from a 1950-51 Model. There is a 1 inch difference in width.
And, note these are Victorian Rims.

BarryM