piston and bearing question

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
p6mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

piston and bearing question

Post by p6mike »

Hi all
i have a question regarding the piston in a p6 is there any noticeable difference in the sound of the engine if i fit new alloy piston instead of the cast pistons.
and can any one give me a lead on mains and big end bearings in the uk thay are the thick wall type.

many thanks mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: piston and bearing question

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

I can't give you an answer regarding the sound of alloy pistons vs cast as all mine have alloy and they sound great to me. I can't say that I have heard any difference between my tractors and any other P6 unless I cane the living daylights out of it. I had the injection pump set up as a P6V rated at 83 BHP at 2400 RPM. Naturally it doesn't sound the same at full throttle as a standard p6 but if you stick to 1500 RPM I can't tell the difference.

As for bearings I got my last set from F W Thorton. http://fwthornton.co.uk/ The price was not cheap but they are rare bearings and I was happy with their service.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Try Cox and Turner Engineering for the bearings they would be quite likely to have them

Matt
1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major

Perkoil32
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Perkoil32 »

Hi All, I use to be a sceptic on the " different sound of a P6 with CI pistons fitted", but have since become somewhat of a believer. Its a little difficult to explain but it seems to me that with CI pistons fitted they have more of a "metallic" sound when running especially at idle. When building P6 engines I usually try to retain the CI pistons if they are still fitted, be careful though, the CI pistons use a thicker compression ring, I recently stripped an engine to find it fitted with CI pistons but Alloy piston compression rings !! ....ouch. I do have a selection of parts for P series engines including some thick type bearings, let me know if there is something you need and I'll try to help.