SR4 won't fit

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

SR4 won't fit

Post by OGoldsmith »

Just wondered has anyone had problems trying to fit a Lucas SR4 to there Fordson N or E27N?

I had this problem last year as a borrowed one when my RF4's gears sheared. Ive now had the RF4 rebuilt so all good. :D

Oliver
1940 Fordson Standard N 1948 Fordson Major E27N

tmc
True Blue

Re: SR4 won't fit

Post by tmc »

Hi , I have both a Standard and an E27N both with SR4's , no problem's fitting and interchanging , what problem have you found ?

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

Having the Standard on a RF4 when removed for a replacement part, I fitted attempted to fit a SR4 borrowed from a friend. Tried afew times but the bolt holes wouldnt meet up and if they did the magneto wouldn't engage.

Ollie

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

I suppose the SR4 could well have come from another make , they where used in many applications , then it could have been
drilled differently ?

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

It was off another Standard but a E27N engined 1. Im sure it wasn't 1 from somthing like a Allis B or Farmall A, H, etc...

Ollie

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

Definitely puzzled ! I have ,as said , a Standard N and an E27N , both correct engines and have interchanged the mag's with no
problem .

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

Ive had abit of a think on the subject. While trying to get my E27N running today, I fitted my RF4 off my Standard as its own RF4 is not sparking. Anyway I refitted the RF back on my Standard afterwards and the coupling was easy to move about to line up with the drive coupling. Being Put back to normal within mins.

Anyway, from memory, The SR4 was very stiff to fit on to anything so could it have been a case of not lineing up very well?

Oliver

brian1963
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brian1963 »

Hi glad you got your RF4 problem solved. Just seen an advert for a mag company in the North East they have started making the gears for the Lucas RF4. May come in handy as they seem to shear teeth eventually.

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

When first inspecting the RF4 on my E27n the broken tooth on the composite gear gave me worries. At that time (was it really over 35 years ago?) I drilled a small hole into the broken tooth gap and screwed in a brass wood screw. A little work with a three corner hand file , and I was confident that there would be no skipped cogs. Some winters later, I bolstered up the protruding brass peg with a bit of two part epoxy and formed it into a passable tooth. This fix served well for all these many years until I found that Cox and Turner would seel the replacements for a bit of cash. It seemed like a preventitive item, so the big gear was changed out. The small drive gear looked fine, and is to this day.

The real kicker with warm engine restarts was a dodgey HT coil. An ohms measurement confirmed about 1/2 the specified value (is it 7K ohms? I forget) By some fortune, I had purchased a broken and damaged hulk of an RF4 from Chicago Magneto here in the States. The unit had a GOOD HT coil. I'm running it today! I still consider having the old coil rewound. There is a fellow in Maine with a rewinding machine who will do the job for a bit over $100. Maine is close enough, and the mails go everywhere. But this unit is working just fine.

What to do with this coffee can of old "used a little" spark plugs, now that I don't need fresh ones so often.

Sorry to ramble, but this IS a tractor forum ;-)

Cal

ps It's snowing! The old gal better get ready to plow. Last time out was heavy, wet, and two feet deep. ;-)