Newbie & E27N engine conversion - Lister Diesel

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Lister Boy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Newbie & E27N engine conversion - Lister Diesel

Post by Lister Boy »

Hi all,
Newbie here
This looks like to be the place to ask questions regarding Fordson stuff.
I'm trying to recreate a conversion that my father was involved in - putting a Lister FR4 diesel (4 cyl water cooled) into a used E27N in the early 50's.
In trying to achieve this I have some questions that I hope you guys can help out with:
1. Does the E27N pet/tvo flywheel housing have a designation for the mating flange? SAE for example?
2. Is the flywheel housing mating flange different for say P6/P4/L4? Does it differ between factory fit and a conversion fit?
3. Does anyone have a drawing of a pet/tvo flywheel mating flange?

More to follow based on answers!

Mike

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Newbie & E27N engine conversion - Lister Diesel

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board, that sounds like a fun project you are taking on.

All the variants of the E27N have the same gearbox flange. The Perkins engines had adaptor plates and sumps cast to match the tractor for the conversions. The Flange is circular as far as I can tell so it has a chance of going close to an SAE flange, unlike the E1A Major which is not. The dimensions I can give you off the P6 that is sitting right behind me are flange outer diameter 19 1/4 inches and pitch circle diameter for the bolt holes is 18 1/4 inches. (Looks exactly 1/2 inch from the outer diameter to the center of the bolts.) The inner diameter of the P6 adaptor plate is 15 3/4 inches. Please take these dimensions with a grain of salt as they are only rough measurements.

The closest SAE flange I can find is SAE #2 which is 19 1/4 inch O/D, 18.375 inch pitch circle diameter and 17.625 inch inner diameter. The bolts on the Fordson are not evenly spaced so they do not conform to the SAE spec. I found the SAE data here http://sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/SAE_fl ... _Jan07.pdf so I am not sure if there are other SAE variations or if the information is accurate.

Good luck with your project.

Regards, Frank
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.