How to remove temp gauge/calormeter

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
1949E27N
True Blue

How to remove temp gauge/calormeter

Post by 1949E27N »

Hi, would someone be able to tell me how to remove the calormeter from the E27N? It's the Willmot Beeden type.
Does it simply screw out? I cah twist it a tiny bit left to right but it won't budge...
Thanks guys?

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: How to remove temp gauge/calormeter

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

If you are getting a small amount of movement you are on the home straight. All you will need now is lots of pentrating oil and patience. Above all else do not try to rush the job as they are easy to break. One word of advice is if you can get to the threads inside the tank clean them with a wire brush and lubricate well before undoing as it will make the job easier. (You will need the radiator off for that.) There is nothing inside and no tricks to getting them out, they simply unscrew, but I have never met one that came out willingly.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Thanks for that Frank, I was starting to think there must've been a nut and split washer inside...

1949E27N
True Blue

Post by 1949E27N »

Well I think I may have broken it...
The top meter part turned on the thread rather than the thread screwing out of the radiator.
There is a nut on the threaded section between the meter and the radiator, I thought maybe I could screw it out with this butting against the meter but she's lockef in there tight...