Fordson Major E27N

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Major E27N

Post by OGoldsmith »

I should be going to view a Fordson E27N this week and wondered what should I look out for that could be a problem. Aprently wings are bad and tyres may need replacing. (that will hurt my wallet). Any problems too look out for with things like the Hydrullics or Pulley?

Many Thanks
Oliver
1940 Fordson Standard N 1948 Fordson Major E27N

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Fordson Major E27N

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Oliver,

I can't give much advice as to what things to look out for on a running tractor as all of mine started out life properly dead. I can say that the belt pulley is dead easy to fix and the Hydaulic Power Lift is not bad to fix either. If it has done a lot of belt work you may need to fit new bearings and a seal, (just look for the oil leaks and the loose pully) gears generally don't give trouble. The Hydraulic Power Lift is a real simple unit. If it goes up and down it works. You may need to fit a new cylinder seal if it drops quickly with a load, but a tractor that has been in use should not have rusted cylinders or broken pumps due to rust like one that has been out of action for a long time.

Probably the worst problem that you can get that is a pain to fix is shot seals between the gearbox and diff. They are not that expensive but they are a pain to replace. Check the gearbox and diff oil level. If the gearbox is low and the diff is high the seals are probably shot. Other than that just check how it drives. Listen for knocks and make sure it stays in all gears on and off power and it should be OK.

In general I have found parts to be reasonable in price once you actually find where to buy them from. The thing that gets me is the black gunk that lives inside and the weight of all the bits when you pull it apart.

Good luck with your purchase.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Oliver,

What to check very much depends on where you live on the world. Here in Holland you should check for engine damages due to freezing of the cooling system. In Australia that is of less importance.

In general:
Engine knocks
Compression
leakages.
Are all the parts there, or is the tractor incomplete?

If there is something wrong, it can be fixed, but: Finding parts for tractors around 60 years of age can sometimes be time consuming, all cast parts are really heavy.

Availability of bearings, bolts, seals is no problem.

Regards
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

Yeah, i knew of the frost cracks and where to look, my N has a nice big patch on the side of its block. Very thin casting there, no wonder it was easerly split open in frosty weather.

Oliver

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Oliver
If the oil levels in the gearbox and rear axle are low and high respectively then it is usually down to the leather oil seals in the PTO unit under the gearbox. Not a difficult job, just a pain to drain all the oil (lots of it!!), remove the PTO shaft and drop the PTO unit. Then dig out the old perished leather oil seals and replace with modern rubber ones and then refit. Just remember its all heavy castings so be careful!!
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

Jerry Coles wrote:Hi Oliver
If the oil levels in the gearbox and rear axle are low and high respectively then it is usually down to the leather oil seals in the PTO unit under the gearbox. Not a difficult job, just a pain to drain all the oil (lots of it!!), remove the PTO shaft and drop the PTO unit. Then dig out the old perished leather oil seals and replace with modern rubber ones and then refit. Just remember its all heavy castings so be careful!!
Cheers
Jerry
Nothings light for a Fordson, lol. So I take it there no different to a N except back end really?

Oliver

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

Well now got myself belive could be a 1950 E27N but what puzzles me is its been fitted with a Kidney Dish Dash. Still has all the fittings inculding light swich. Never had lights aprently. I think when the second owner got it they fitted a loader but still never had the lights.

Oliver

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Does the engine number on the block match the number on the plate on the bulk head by the air cleaner, if you are using the engine number and the 2 don't match it could be its had a newer motor, then the casting codes on gearbox and stuff would date the rest of the tractor. or somebody has played with parts and added stuff. my understanding is the square dash box was on the last ones.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

super6954 wrote:Hi
Does the engine number on the block match the number on the plate on the bulk head by the air cleaner, if you are using the engine number and the 2 don't match it could be its had a newer motor, then the casting codes on gearbox and stuff would date the rest of the tractor. or somebody has played with parts and added stuff. my understanding is the square dash box was on the last ones.
Regards Robert
Plates from another tractor. Tractor's engine seems to be 1947 but it seems to be 1948 Land Utillity looking at Allan T. Condie's Book "Fordson Major Model E27N 1945-52"

Oliver

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Oliver,

Have you looked for any of the casting codes yet? They are a letter-number-letter code. The easiest to find is the one on the side of the gearbox near where the shifter assembly bolts on. The other clue as to the age is what steering wheel is on it? Is it a three spoke alloy wheel or a four spoke steel wheel? Wings and grills are also different between early and late models. The other real experts will be able to tell you more. Posting some photos would also help dating it.

Any way having said that, it shouldn't matter exactly what date it was manufactured if you enjoy the tractor. Learning the history is fun, but it is very rare to find a 60+ year old machine that has not had at least a few parts replaced in it's working life.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

Aussie Frank wrote:Hi Oliver,

Have you looked for any of the casting codes yet? They are a letter-number-letter code. The easiest to find is the one on the side of the gearbox near where the shifter assembly bolts on. The other clue as to the age is what steering wheel is on it? Is it a three spoke alloy wheel or a four spoke steel wheel? Wings and grills are also different between early and late models. The other real experts will be able to tell you more. Posting some photos would also help dating it.

Any way having said that, it shouldn't matter exactly what date it was manufactured if you enjoy the tractor. Learning the history is fun, but it is very rare to find a 60+ year old machine that has not had at least a few parts replaced in it's working life.

Regards, Frank.

It has a Four Spoke wheel like tractors before mid 48 but has more 48 parts. I belive its more 48 than 47 to be honest.

Oliver