an E27N with a difference !

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
tmc
True Blue

an E27N with a difference !

Post by tmc »

I think anyone who has an interest in E27N's would like to see this !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-EN27- ... 6rk%3D4%26

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: an E27N with a difference !

Post by Dandy Dave »

A Leyland diesel. Deaf i nightly Different. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

The engine is described as an 0.401 Leyland as used in the Super Comet. It looks more like an 0.600 Leyland engine. Around 140 - 150 horsepower.
BarryM

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

BarryM wrote:The engine is described as an 0.401 Leyland as used in the Super Comet. It looks more like an 0.600 Leyland engine. Around 140 - 150 horsepower.
Sounds like a lot of power on that trans and rear. :shock: I bet it does a lot of slipping on soft ground with the HP to weight ratio. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Dave,

I don't think that tractor has been built for any practical purpose. As you said the gearbox although over engineered would probably strugle with the extra torque of the engine. The rear wheels are not big enough to take the horsepower without spinning. It would probably drink the fuel like it was going out of fashion doing farm work, but as an exercise of I wonder if I can put that engine into that tractor, it seems well enough done.

No way I would pay the asking price for it though. For that money I could cast a custom sump to fit a Ford flat head for V8 into an E27N and make it look like it came out of the factory that way. An equally useless machine, but I would have fun building it :wink:

I hope the curent owner enjoyed building it, but some how I don't think he will find someone else who will find the value in the tractor itself.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have to agree with you on the price. Tis a little steep for me wee l'il penny pinching pocket, eh mate. Are you aware of the funk conversions that we had over here for the N series Ford tractors. The flathead 6 and, V8 kits of the day are highly sought after among the N series tractor collectors over here. Dandy Dave!

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/funk.htm

1960 Fordson Power Major

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Dandy Dave wrote:Are you aware of the funk conversions that we had over here for the N series Ford tractors. The flathead 6 and, V8 kits of the day are highly sought after among the N series tractor collectors over here. Dandy Dave!

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/funk.htm
Hi Dave,

Yes I have heard of them, but have never seen one. Probably good that I havn't seen one because it would probably result in me wanting one. I am trying to restrict my collection to a hand full of E27N tractors and conversions. So far I have succeeded but I am not going to push my luck, tractors seem to be more addictive than hard drugs for me.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

You have the Old Iron Disease. You will have to learn to live with it for the rest of your life. You will not beable to just shake it off and you will consistiantly be looking for another pile of scrap metal to "Save" from the scrap man and refubish someday. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Dandy Dave wrote:You have the Old Iron Disease. You will have to learn to live with it for the rest of your life. You will not beable to just shake it off and you will consistiantly be looking for another pile of scrap metal to "Save" from the scrap man and refubish someday. Dandy Dave!
That was a good one, Dave :)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I know all about the dreaded infliction of rustitis. :shock: I have it quite bad myself. The only cure is to continue to bring home more derilict mechanical contraptions, fill the yard with repair and restoration projects, and spend lots of time and money on them. Sort of like the, "Shop Til You Drop" sindrome our feminine counterparts go though. :cry: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Aha now I know whats wrong with me too "OID"
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi