Gearbox input shaft seal questions

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Aussie Frank
True Blue

Gearbox input shaft seal questions

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the input shaft seal problem I am having. I am rebuilding a red spot special low ratio gearbox and the only part I can't find is the input shaft seal The seal that came out of it was installed with the if it don't fit hit it with a bigger hammer aproach and probably was not the original thickness as it is only 0.375 inch thick and Henks list of seals say the input shaft seal is 0.5 inch thick.

I bought a 3.5 inch O/D 2.75 inch shaft seal and try as I might it would not go in. It was just a fraction too large. OK I thought it must be metric 88mm O/D 70 mm shaft as all the bearings are metric. It fits but is loose, if you grab it you can spin it in the housing.

OK getting desperate refering to the parts manual I start searching for N-7005-C that is listed in the manual as the input shaft seal. I can't find that anywhere but I do find N7005B listed in the Timken catalog. (Timken 480491) Size looks right 3.481 inch (88.5 mm) O/D 2.75 inch shaft, but it is 0.5 inch thick. The place where this fits on my box only has 9 mm width for the seal to push into and 0.5 inch may be too wide to clear the bearing.

What I need to know is what thickness the original seal is. 0.5 inch looks like it might fit without hitting the bearing but it will be a very close call. The seal fits in a mongrel of a spot that is hard to measure as well. Any part numbers or size information will be greatly apreciated. The pile of seals is getting bigger and the gearbox is still in pieces.

Thanks in advance, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Gearbox input shaft seal questions

Post by BarryM »

Frank,

Replacement for N 7005 C.
The last time I changed this Seal I used a Repco P1344 Seal. However, they have renumbered their Seals and they now start with the prefix PR. Give the P1344 number to your supplier and they will be able to supply the latest number.

The Seal N 7005 B was used between 1934 and 1936.

Hope this is of some help.
BarryM

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Frank,

The latest number for the Seal is CR 27251. The makers of PR no longer manufacture this Seal.
BarryM

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

BarryM wrote:Frank,

The latest number for the Seal is CR 27251. The makers of PR no longer manufacture this Seal.
Barry, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of part numbers. I ordered a CR 27251 seal and lo and behold it fits.

Just for reference it's size is 88.42 mm O/D (3 31/64 inch) Shaft 69.85 mm (2 3/4 inch) and 11.13 mm thick (no particular inch size that I could find). I am sure Henry chose that mongrel size just to make things hard.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.