Help Dating my Australian P6

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Help Dating my Australian P6

Post by E45NP6 »

G'day,

Have the P6 at home now, pulling it apart and sandblasting most parts. will post a few photos as i pull it apart more and see whats good and whats bad. http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 2988907362]

the link will show the picture of the tractor as she looks now

But i really want to know what year it is, Perkins Engine No. 3087975 stamped under the intake manifold on machined surface.

E45NP6
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

R W
True Blue

Re: Help Dating my Australian P6

Post by R W »

Can't help with the date, but the hydraulics look like they are off a later model Major.
I have seen the later 3PL/hydraulics fitted to an E27N some years back.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

I can't give an exact date either just from the engine number. The tractor serial number which should have been on the plate attached to the left front of the dash panel or possibly stamped on the right side of the gearbox flange along with the gearbox ratio numbers would give an exact build date. From the looks of things in your photo the plate seems to be missing on your tractor. I can say the engine is later than both of mine which are November 1949 based on the date stamped on the flywheel of one of them and they have serial numbers starting with 304XXXX.

If you can't find the tractor serial number look for the casting codes on the gearbox near where the gearshift bolts on. It is a letter number letter code and that will give us the manufacture date of that casting. In fact look for codes in that format on all the major parts and post them and we should be able to work out roughly when your tractor was built. From the looks of it though it looks like a late tractor, possibly one of the last ones built. From the looks of it you have most of the muck off so the codes should not be too hard to find.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

Cleaned up the gearbox/bellhousing area where it is stamped STD 4.3 looking for more numbers, but failed to find any. The gearbox is has two sets of casting numbers on it:

F24P on top of the gear lever, and 270 7007B/C on the same side stamped by hand? towards the bottom.

Hope this is of some help.

E45NP6
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

F24P corresponds to a casting date of May 24th 1950. That seems reasonable given the engine number. The axle trumpets and the diff housing should also have similar numbers. If you find those and post them we can see how closely all the parts match and get a more exact date. The 270 7007B/C is not a serial number as far as I can make out. The serial number should be between 1138033 to 1180609 if it is a 1950 model.

From the stamped numbers on the gearbox you have a standard ratio low speed box if no one has changed it.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.