gearbox

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
paulus
Not Quite Blue Yet

gearbox

Post by paulus »

Hello, does someone know if its possible to change a 4.3 gearbox for a 7.7 one? A friend of mine is planning to do this but I'm not sure if this is possible.
Regards, Paul.

CalGG
True Blue

Re: gearbox

Post by CalGG »

Seems So!

According to my copy of "The Fordson Major "E27N" Tractor Book"!

If it is desired to change from low top (4.3) transmission to the high top (7.75) transmission or vice versa, the parts are easily established by referring to the list.

Looking at the list, the (shaft and gears (trans drive) along with associated bearings carry alternate part numbers.

Perhaps significantly, the transmission end plate pn N-7019-C in the case of the 4.3 ratios and N-7019-B for the 7.7.

I have no idea baout the details of configuration that makes the difference between the two.

Also note, that there were both "Green Spot" and "Red Spot" versions of each transmission. The red spot giving a higher numerical 1st and 2nd ratio

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

as well as changing the main gearbox input shaft etc if you have a hydraulic drive on the top and a pto on the bottom then they have different ratios for high and low top so would have to be changed
1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

Hmmmmm, interesting. I'm looking to replace my P6's hydraulics with an original Smiths single lever unit, as it is fitted with a new majors unit currently. I have the high top gear STD 4.3 ratio. Does that mean i'm going to need to source one from an E27N that also has a STD 4.3 gearbox?

E45NP6
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

E45NP6 wrote:Hmmmmm, interesting. I'm looking to replace my P6's hydraulics with an original Smiths single lever unit, as it is fitted with a new majors unit currently. I have the high top gear STD 4.3 ratio. Does that mean i'm going to need to source one from an E27N that also has a STD 4.3 gearbox?

E45NP6
Absolutely right. Fortunately for you though the 4.3 ratio top is by far the most common, but if you happen to find one attached to a 7.7 ratio box you could buy the gearbox as well and have one quick E27N tractor on the road.

Regards Frank.

P.S. If you ever do fit a 7.7 box to your tractor make sure you fix the steering and brakes first before you go out. Otherwise I have been told that you may end up with skid marks in unexpected places :wink:
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

My E27n has the 7.7 gear box. It moves right down the road when traveling. With the throttle rod pulled out, the wind whistles past at an exhilarating clip.

The left wheel brake is a bit "grabby", and that makes for some interesting slowing down.
I've taken a look at the brakes inside, and they appear to be properly assembled and in good order. Still the one side self energizes with a thunk!. It must be something to do with the leading shoe for that assembly.

I'll be using the steering brakes a bit this winter with snow removal duty. Perhaps the exercise will show the fault....or fix it!

cheers

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

HI all id like to endorse the preceding posts I have 3x standard 7.7 hightops and 1x special 7.7 hightop all working and a 7.7 standard with e1a linkage parts plus 2 x 4.3 standard working and a 4.3 special low parts all are a comprise in one way or another please refer to the attached charts if you save them you can then expand them and they should be readable I hope. 2 of the7.7hightops are in a grader and a reversed crane note the fast reverse and faster 1st both would probably be better with the sr box to slow them down when working but retain the transit speed the crane in particular is a near skid mark experience . how ever the the7.7 sr is in a blue n and while fun its pretty useless people seam to be fixated with ploughing but most farm work is was done at faster speeds in top on a 4.3 such as mowing harrowing rolling fertilising feeding out ect and with the sr its too slow in 2 .it may have had a hoe on it. You might think that you could throttle back on any of the hightops but the true speed is closer to 10 mph which makes idle about 5 and they won’t pull anything worth while at that the third is my only standard tractor and its role is that of tug for my low loader that carries the county dozer I guess I gross about 9 tons aus spec tractor wide cast wheels 14/28s 90% water specs say around 3.4 low loader 1.8 county 4.4 any way a problem is 2nd gives about 3.8 idle in top about 6 so you cant bridge the gap however on the level it walks away no worries in top close the throttle stops in a few yards all hills up and down in 2 which it holds easily .My nearest to a skidmark experience was on the way to our locale rally about 8 carefully surveyed miles came to an intersection didn’t slow as it should and had to brake got a lockup and was a bit interesting got to the ground was early no one around in the gates down hill still in top wouldn’t slow down to idle had to drive it like an old rotary aircraft engine and blip the maggy till I turned up hill to were I wanted to park was all right under load turned out the spring on the carbie tube that on most is hanging in the breeze its role I think its to shut the throttle if the governor arm comes off at least that how mine is now had gotten on the wrong side and was holding it open never had any problems whatever since hope some of that is of interest bImage Image
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

Brockwood if you would like to sell any of those gearboxes or have a smiths hydraulic unit to spare i'd pay top dollar and i also live in Victoria. It'd help me out heaps!

thanks, E45NP6
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi E45NP6 tried to pm you but it seems to be stuck in my outbox getting back to the subject I don’t have any spare 7.7 s that are any good to you the only spare at the moment has a e1a top thus no drive the grader and crane are industrials and like the tractor are used the 4.3s are in the crawler and halftrack and used for external hydraulics the other is a p6 under repair however i know a local that some time ago pulled one off a tractor because he wanted to make it look like an early one it has no steering brakes and is now on steel wheels any way he offered it to me and as far as i now its still in the back of his shed perhaps i could find out if your interested it would be a 4.3 unit b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck