p6 governor

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
brockwood
True Blue

p6 governor

Post by brockwood »

hi all got hit with a query today havent really thought about it yet anyway mates grader p6 e27n under a moore roadmaster just had pump and head done including diaphragms works perfectly on the flat but as soon as it gets nose down pours black smoke and races seems a bit funny any idears ? b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: p6 governor

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

It may not be a pump problem. If it has the late model breather with the pipe going up to the air intake pipe, it may be sump oil getting in the breather.

When my P6 is up to the full mark with engine oil, oil pours out the breather getting on and off my truck. (I reverse onto the truck so the tractor is nose down.) Mine is the early style with the open pipe at the bottom of the engine, but I have seen them modified to breath back to the air intake and the later model P6 comes standard with the breather connected to the intake.

Worth looking into, it could just be too much sump oil.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi think you may be on to something frank i am going to look at it next sunday he said something another time about it loseing oil on down slopes my be he blocked something and thats caused this b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Frank & Barrie,

The Breathing System for the P6 was changed approx. 1951 to the system in the photo. For the Fordson the oil filler was moved forward and vented, and the Rocker Cover vented back in to the Venturi. The small stand pipe screwed in to the top of the Head. The road draught tube on the old system was removed and a blanking plate fitted. The photo shows all the parts that came in the Kit.

BarryM

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi all been a bit slow getting back had a look at the grader now it was a petrol but a previous owner the local speedway transplanted a tractor engine into it but weather that was an originally a p6 i don’t know funny enough its got the low speed box were they are normally the high .any way getting back to the motor the breather system is unlike any iv seen i have the road draft [ pipe hanging down then an extention up to rocker cover off a square mount just above the sump] which my older tractors have and the later system illustrated by Barry on my grader this one has mounted on the square where the road draft pipe goes a short upward stack with a diaphragm under a breather, coming out of that a 1/2 pipe runs up to an inlet opposite the govener pipe on the throttle body another smaller pipe branches of and runs into the manifold near the kigas fitting during the motor rebuild the repairer with the best of intentions replaced or fitted a spring on the diagram to stop the oil leak which it had on steep down slopes this then resulted of an oil run from i think oil which instead of spilling was drawn up into the inlet manifold this has now been removed he'd rather lose a bit of oil

b