E27N P/P Cylinder Sleeves

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
PeterS
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N P/P Cylinder Sleeves

Post by PeterS »

Hi, My E27N is fitted with a Fordson recon engine (1953 from the number) and the cylinders were sleeved back to standard. The bores are corroded and one has a hairline crack so I'm looking for replacement sleeves. The company doing the boring has had no success with his normal suppliers and I've been quoted high prices to have some made. Do any of you know of a supplier in the UK?
Thanks in advance Peter.

R W
True Blue

Re: E27N P/P Cylinder Sleeves

Post by R W »

[quote="PeterS"]Hi, My E27N is fitted with a Fordson recon engine (1953 from the number) .[/quote]

Is your E27N fitted with the original Side Valve Engine or has it been fitted with an engine from a New Major, ( 1953 has promted this question).

PeterS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by PeterS »

Its a 1945 tractor which had a Ford recon engine fitted in 1953. It is the original side valve type.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Peter,

I have heard that one of the Scania truck sleeves can be fitted. I can't remember any more than that. I am sure it was mentioned here somewhere, maybe in the old forum. I can't imagine that a ready made sleeve will not be available. All you need is the bore size, the outer size and the length. The length is not super critical, you can be a few mm out, and the outside diameter just has to be a little bigger than the hole in the block.

If you have a chat with a scania mechanic and give him the dimensions you are looking for he may be able to identify the engine and sleeve part number for you.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

PeterS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by PeterS »

Frank, thanks for this. I've tried the Scania trucks route but only found the query on another forum posted some time ago and without any response. There are several near-fits around all needing machining, but I would really like something straight off the shelf. Thanks once again and have a good Christmas.
Peter.

PeterS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by PeterS »

I'll complete this thread for the record: I eventually went to the L.A.Sleeve Company. They have a huge range of general purpose sleeves and wet liners. Their ref. L402 has the right id. and od. for the E27N but is just over an inch too long. They normally have one or two in stock but I needed four and so had to weight until they could fit it into their production plan. VERY helpful people and their price + shipping + import duty + British Post Office handling charge (!) + VAT was still much less than I had been quoted for manufacture in UK. Sleeves are currently being fitted. (A sad day for what's left of British industry)

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

America has gone the same way... We are at the Mercy of Asian Markets over here. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major