Pictures of my australian e27n

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
MH55k
True Blue

Pictures of my australian e27n

Post by MH55k »

Here are some pics of my major she needs a bit of work as it is curently only running on 3 cylinders :?
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Pictures of my australian e27n

Post by Aussie Frank »

That is one mighty fine looking machine. Do what it takes to get it running on all four and no more. It is so hard to find a tractor like yours in it's working clothes. You are a lucky man.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

I think I will fit a new set of boots and repair the left mudgaurd but that's as far as I'd go with it
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

MH55k wrote:I think I will fit a new set of boots and repair the left mudgaurd but that's as far as I'd go with it
You should fix the skip. It is not good to run an engine out of ballance. Most likely needs a Valve job. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

I think the running on 3 is down to either a fouled plug or a dicky plug lead as I did a screwdriver test and shorting number 4 plug made no difference to the way it ran. As for running out of balance I have a mckormick deering aos6 (australian designed and built IH w6 variant) that the previous owner had used for a number of years with #1 piston missing after repairing the damage caused by the gudgen pin scoring the liner and replacing the piston I put it on a dyno and got 45 HP at the pto and they are only rated at 37 http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... aos-6.html she still runs sweet as a nut and it was all repaired in September last year
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Even over here we have had backwoods hillbillys running engines for years missing on a cylinder. Still not good for the harmonics of an engine. I once worked on a Allis Chalmers L crawler that only ran on 5. A rod bearing fell apart and what remained of the rod was wired outside of the hole knocked through the block and a piece of sheet metal was cobbed over that to let the oil run back in. Crudest repair I ever saw. I heard tales that the former owner ran it that way for a long time. The oilway in the crank for that rod was not plugged and the rest of the engine suffered for it. I did repair it and replace the rod, but the fellow that owned it at the time did not want me to pull the engine and sort the main bearings and clean out the oilways. It did not have good oil pressure because the main bearings were worn and badly needed adjusting or to be re-poured. Maybe it is just me, but I hate to hear an engine skipping. A plug, or plug wire, should be an eazy fix. By the way mate, Very Nice tractor. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Well after being away for 2 weeks i come home to find the tin I put over the exhaust had blown off and that when my father in law had attempted to move her they ( my wife too) could not get her started and that she was very hard to crank any way I have a look see the water seeping out the manifolds and I sprung in to a action plugs out inspected and cleaned and cranked over for an hour water removed plugs back in and contacts cleaned in the mag cap fuel on and she fired second pull on all four ticked away like a sewing machine however interestingly it was number 4 plug that was the problem and I used to have a 38 orange n that would always foul number 4 plug is it a common occurrence with old fordsons ? Ps I don't usually condone old tractors living outside but until I move her down our farm and in a shed its where she must stay as my two masseys are in the shed and garage and my wife insists on keeping the car undercover and my poor inter has the indignity of living at my brother inlaws .
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

MH55k wrote: Ps I don't usually condone old tractors living outside but until I move her down our farm and in a shed its where she must stay as my two masseys are in the shed and garage and my wife insists on keeping the car undercover and my poor inter has the indignity of living at my brother inlaws .
Hi MH55k
I have a solution to your storage problem It's pretty simple/ cheap, And better for your health than telling the wife to park her car outside :wink: . This is the Fordson forum not a Massey one, Just throw the Masseys outside and put the Fordson in the shed problem solved :idea: :run: :lol:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Here in lies the problem as the two MH are restored and my wive quite likes them and is fairly protective them so they get storage rights till I can move the major down the farm after all according to her it's a dirty old ford and well she is the boss
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

MH55k wrote:Here in lies the problem as the two MH are restored and my wive quite likes them and is fairly protective them so they get storage rights till I can move the major down the farm after all according to her it's a dirty old ford and well she is the boss
An old man and his wife of 70 years were interviewed a few years back. During the talk show the old man was asked, "How did you stay married for so many years." He answered, "Just two simple words. Yes Dear."

I tried marriage once me self. It didn't work out so well. Every once in a while I get into it with the lady that has been here for the last 13 years. Any talk of tractors or other machinery leaving and I show her the door and say "You go first." She calms right down. no "Common Law marriage." where I live.

1960 Fordson Power Major

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Did I mention she is taller than me oh and a great maker of cakes and dinners
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Unfortunatly my suspicions are confirmed moressy has done the head now she lives in the shed so anyone know if you can anneal the old gaskets
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Can't you just get new ones? You would be further ahead. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Where can I procure a new head gasket for a fordson e27n ?
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

try old 20 there online
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Well I did it I re annealed the head gasket in the BBQ had it running for an hour yesterday seemed to go alright and then when I started her this morning there was no water fountain from the exhaust that's a win in my books now for a oil change and a new set of plugs
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

i have had sucsess reusing gaskets thou they whernt leaking when i have taken them off its always been for a valve grind i clean up the head and block with a wire brush in a 4' angle grinder and lightly clean the gasket with same it seams to annneale it done 3 so far and had notrouble so far b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

MH55k wrote:Well I did it I re annealed the head gasket in the BBQ had it running for an hour yesterday seemed to go alright and then when I started her this morning there was no water fountain from the exhaust that's a win in my books now for a oil change and a new set of plugs
Hi
Sounds like you are up the creak without a paddle on the storage front for the tractors if shes bigger than you and can cook :wink: . With the old gaskets as long as the things not blown i've just lightly wire brushed them put a little sealer on and re used them. The longest i ran one was 9 years then the crank broke due to a poor re grind :cry: that's the only reason it was changed on the re build. I was tempted to try it the 3rd time just to see if it worked again :) , but thought my luck was gonna dump on me this time so fitted the new one.
I have the next generation 52 straight petrol here it needs the crank doing. There are no new top end parts here in Canada for that so I'm kinda on the fence of not pulling the head in case i mess the gasket up and it won't go back on, then the tractors done for as as it takes to find parts if they ever turn up :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Ok so repaired head gasket new set of plugs and this is what we ended up with http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hG6qZgUto
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Sounds like you have the skip out mate. I hear a slight surge like the govenor is playing with it. Usually this is a result from dirt in the low speed jet. She looks a little rich on the high speed side also. I agree that the New Champion plugs are over priced in my opinion, and my experiance is they will go afowl rather quickly on a rich fuel mixture. Autolite makes an equivalent plug, #3076 or # 3077 long reach if you have the clearance for less money. I have had better service experiance with these. I know you must be kicking yourself now for tossing those old take apart plugs as many are better than anything we can get today for our old iron. Much of my vintage iron has vintage plugs and I never toss one unless the porcelain is cracked and causing a miss fire. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major