Putting back her to work

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Putting back her to work

Post by enginenut »

I was given this Sunshine? cultivator by a retired farmer that my boss leases land from so after fitting some tyres I dragged it home after work one evening and put it to work behind the E27N.

CalGG
True Blue

Re: Putting back her to work

Post by CalGG »

What will you plant in that scratched soil? Looks quite dry.

Seems the harrow is a good match to the Fordson! ;-)

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Looks can be deceiving, as I was barely raising a dust!! 8) Ill seed it to oats and cut it for hay (good excuse to use the mid mount sickle mower on my IH Cub :mrgreen: ) And yea She walked away with it in second was a good load to run the new rings in.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Working like that the water in the rad. should be boiling after about half an hour or do you have a pressurised system?

enginenut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by enginenut »

Surprisingly it didn't get as hot as I thought it would, the calorimeter barely got past the 10 o'clock position. I did have the shutters open but I fully expected it to get hotter and boil over, It was running on straight petrol not TVO but it was a coolish day.

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

My poor old girl boiled up after three passes with a 3 fourough IH little genious :( mind you it was mid January and the shutters slipped closed
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Here in Cambridgeshire in England we always had water in the ditches/dykes which surrounded the fields.
If you were working a E27N hard you kept a bucket and string with you so that you could throw the bucket into the water, get some out, and keep the rad topped up.

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

On the topic of heating water...

Here in temperate New England, The radiator blind needs to be up at least 3/4 to keep the calorimeter above 190 F. on a typical day. (I picked up a nice industrial calorimeter, and fitted it in place of the broken off original.)

In winter, the blind needs be drawn up tight to get any warmth from her at all. But, when working hard on a white winter's day, the steam leaking out the cap is a pleasant sight.

Needless to say, There is 50/50 glycol mix in the rad. year round. Whenever there is cooling system work done on any of the automobiles, the draining goes to the Fordson supply if not right into the top tank ;-) Keeps the rust down too.

Cheers

sylke1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sylke1 »

Those wheels look a bit small for a E27N to me, but so you have more torque on the back wheels
cheers
Schluter SH 25, 1957.

MH55k
True Blue

Post by MH55k »

Australian tractors were shipped over here minus wheels to save space or weight one of the other ans the wheels were manufactured locally with a district difference in design between west aus and over east they are only 24 in some 26 I think but a lot wider than English majors
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N