E27N handbrake. Roadless halftrack manual?

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N handbrake. Roadless halftrack manual?

Post by Halftrack Hank »

Hello to all on the Fordson Tractor Forum , could anyone tell me if the seal or o-ring can be replaced where the handbrake lever shaft passes through the rhs of the transmission without having to split the tractor ?
Also , can anybody tell me if ever there was an operators manual or a suppliment for the Roadless Halftrack that contained lubrication / adjustment guide that may have been supplied with the Fordson E27N operators manual ?

Regards,
Halftrack Hank .

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: E27N handbrake. Roadless halftrack manual?

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Hank,

Even if you split the tractor you would have the same problem, you have to get the lever off to change the seal. If my memory is correct then all you have to do to get to the insides of the gearbox where the handbrake mechanism is, is to remove the hydaulic drive unit on top of the gearbox. The pin will be far harder to get out. If you get the pin and the lever off, then the seal will be a walk in the park.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

PeterS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: E27N handbrake. Roadless halftrack manual?

Post by PeterS »

Just put my gearbox back together last week. The seal is fitted from the outside so you should not need to get into the gearbox. I had to drill the pin out to get the handbrake lever off although it might be worth trying a lot of heat to try to move it if you are replacing the seal anyway. If something goes wrong and you need to take the handbrake shaft out, then the plate/shafts/gears assembly has to come out, which or course means splitting the tractor. Hope all goes well.
Regards,
Peter.