Fordson e27n Engine conversions.

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
billgatt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson e27n Engine conversions.

Post by billgatt »

I have a genuine Fordson e27n Perkins P6 with most of the factory options including wheel weights etc. I also have a P/P none runner which I fancy doing something different with. Ive seen more modern Ford engine transplants as well as Gardiner engines shoe horned into e27n's. What other engines have been used over the years either to work or just for fun, I know about the Perkins L4 and 270 etc.
Im thinking Perkins 540 V8, to do this I guess a steel sump needs to be fabricated as the e27n does'nt have side rails. I would want to have it looking as correct as possible. I have just such an engine taken from a Fire Service truck, starter motor and clutch included. Any thoughts welcome.

tmc
True Blue

Re: Fordson e27n Engine conversions.

Post by tmc »

I put together the back of an E27 and the front of a power major a while back , also a year or so back
there was one with a large leyland lorry engine advertised on ebay , I thought it was quite well done
and I did post a link on here at the time where it got a mixed reception !
One thing to think about ref. originality is that I couldn't think of an easy way of keeping the pulley
operational as it is splash lubed in standard form and can't obviously run dry , I removed the inner gear
after giving up with greasers etc. . I did think a 6/354 may work well but a bit close to the P6 you
already have . Good luck whatever you decide on anyway

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

How does one go about mounting front axles on some of these "hybrid" conversions?

The casting on the front of the E27n doen't look like and easy piece to migrate over to a "new" engine.

Just something that has puzzled me.

cheers

Cal

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

The E27N / Major just used the complete front from the major , I've just looked at the Australian ( I think ) Ford turbo E27N , the Gardner engine E27N and the Leyland one and all use the original front axle , the first 2 are on youtube if you want to look,
just put E27N ( fairly obviously ! )

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

tmc wrote:The E27N / Major just used the complete front from the major , I've just looked at the Australian ( I think ) Ford turbo E27N , the Gardner engine E27N and the Leyland one and all use the original front axle , the first 2 are on youtube if you want to look,
just put E27N ( fairly obviously ! )
Hi I have seen that Aussie E27N and was wondering how it was done :?: . I got a few scrap 27Ns here with bad motors, and 2 of those turbo motors from New Holland Combines :) .
I have tried freeze framing a few different clips of it but can't see what I need to :? . I asked a question on the site but this must all be top secret :eyes: :cry: .
Anybody here seen one of these with a ford 2700 series motor in, or know what I need to know to start putting it together :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

The Power Major ( http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=1&t=3094 ) is the same engine/GB fitting as the 2700 , hence all the Majors with D series/Cargo engines in ,but neither match the E27N . With the power major engine I had the advantage of the cast sump and even then while there was enough overlap to drill or bodge most of the mounts it would definitely have been better with an adaptor plate , after doing mine I found the info somewhere that the E27N engine G/B flange is the same measurement as a common engineering ( pipe ) fitting and on checking this seemed to be correct , nothing really went well inside either , you can't use the pulley as it is meant to run in oil , I ended up extending the spigot part
of the shaft ( about 2 in I think ) to meet the engine spigot bearing and extended the flywheel the other way ( with parts
of the redundant twin clutch unit from the P/M ) so the clutch plate met the splines of the shaft , even the original thrust
bearing isn't a bearing , its a bronze/brass type metal that is fine running in oil but not dry .
So there isn't any engine that will 'drop in' ( I know you weren't expecting that ) but with a bit engineering / lateral
thinking it is possible ( with a sense of achievement when it drives out the workshop .)
Nearly forgot , the splines on the E27N shaft are coarser , I think I used the PTO plate from a large David Brown Tractor.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Tmc
I have done lots of the new major conversions with the 2700 series so could probably do it 1 arm tied behind my back and blind folded :lol: . Thats why I wanted to do the 27n for a change/ saving the parts from the scrap too :idea: .
I always laugh at the guys on ebay selling 4 cyl 2700 motors , followed by " fit's right into a major" what a load of B/S if ever i've heard it :curse: . It does with a whole load of messing around and making a mess of the front axle and motor mountings, and cooling fan because it's not up the middle like the original :eyes: . I bet there is a few mad people around when they find this out after buying it :cry: .
I wonder if a guy can put the new major main box in the 27n casting somehow and then use the original clutch set up with it, I saw the difference in the bell housing casting. so that was what I wanted to know how it was done from the you tube video. and how the guy got the original 27n front end fitted.
He has no side rails and the original rad. I didn't think the 2700 front mounts would be strong enough to carry the axle, unless he made the sump too :idea: .
I have the time to make the parts/ build it, but don't want to spend weeks making something and then find it's not right and have to start again, wasting materials and the spare time I already spent. I just need the info to start off and I can figure it from there without drawings and stuff :scratchhead: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

tmc
True Blue

Post by tmc »

Robert I still have the photo's of the Leyland engined E27N , if you are interested PM me your email and I'll send them.