Model N tank problem

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Model N tank problem

Post by Brian »

Message from John, a new member:

Hi Brian, E mailing you viafordsontractorpages forum. My g't grandson has just acquired a N Fordson. The fuel tank was badly corroded and he has been given another in sound condition. Unfortunately the internal baffle has come adrift in the parrafin side of the tank and some creature has also used it for nesting purposes. The only way I can see to rectify this is to remove the end panel by unsoldering the joint then removing the nesting debris and refixing the baffle. Have you come across this problem and do you have a solution or alternative suggestion? Regards John
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

John,

Have you seen this on e-bay? 190257811354.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello John,

In my opionion a better tank is the easiast way to deal with it, but tanks are very dear and the easiest way is not necessary the nicest way.

Soldering out the front or back of the tank is a good option I think. Another option is to cut a hole in the botom of the tank, just below the rear filler neck and arange your repairs from there. Afterwards you can weld the cut out sheet back in and seal the tank with Por15 or something similar.

When you opened the tank, you might be able to make a bigger petrol part and a smaller TVO part in it. That might come in handy.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi John,

Personally if the tank does not leak I would not touch it. The baffle is of limited use on flat ground and I would never run a model N in hills as they tend to burn out the front big end going up long hills due to lack of oil. There are a total of 3 baffles so one lost would not be a huge problem.

Alternatively you may be able to maneuver the baffle into place with some rods through the TVO filler and rivet it into place. The original location for the centre baffle is just forward of the filler. Some solder over the rivets would finish the job. They were only ever held in place with 4 spot welds.

Regards, Frank.