Neigbor's Fordson

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
smokeyrube
Not Quite Blue Yet

Neigbor's Fordson

Post by smokeyrube »

Hi everyone
I have a neighbor who purchased a deisel "MAJOR" not sure exact model 1yr ago,I'll try & keep this short.
Tractor ran faultless & was sold with a "rebuilt?" Motor more on that later,the tractor has done maximum 20hrs since purchase,whilst slashing it created a small knock & abruptly stopped.Didn't take long to realize the bolts in the front of the camshaft had come loose,started pulling it down this is what I found so far.

Snapped camshaft :right on the gear end
Impact mark on camshaft lobe & #4 big end:I read this can happen
Very very damaged timing gears:re not much left of them
At least two bent push rods:I know why that happens :cry:

When I started pulling down I got the timing cover off & pretty much everything connected to camshaft just fell away,on having a little inspection,I noticed marks from the camshaft bolts inside the cover & that the lock plate on the camshaft bolts had not been folded at all if any,also the three bolts that came out of the camshaft are all different,I think one is origanol & the other two have modern markings in them,I'm thinking old owner either made a "mistake" or "bodged" it up when rebuilding it,I'm a bit worried that this is what happened to old owner "the reason for the rebuild".With the sump off the pistons look brand new from bottom side,& you can tell by the gaskets & gasket goo that it has had a lot of recent work.

So here goes the questions:
Is this a fault in the diesels:I'm hopeing not
Will I be able to buy parts:I'm hopeing so
Are the valves & pistons in cylinders with bent push rods "gone"
& how do I identify actual make & model.

Thnx Rube's

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Neigbor's Fordson

Post by Dandy Dave »

Say Smokey Rube, How about some photos for starters. :needpics: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

smokeyrube
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Neigbor's Fordson

Post by smokeyrube »

Hi guys

I can take the pictures but I have never uploaded before but I'll give it a go,I'll try & make time today to remove head & see what we find.

Cheers Rube's