Cylinder head tension

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
MH55k
True Blue

Cylinder head tension

Post by MH55k »

How tight should I pull down the head bolts on a flat top piston e27n as I've always been told " bloody tight" is about right alllllso when grinding in valves in frame do I have to worry about the stem/camshaft contact area ie take a bit off ?
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N

CalGG
True Blue

Re: Cylinder head tension

Post by CalGG »

Good and tight is about right

I suppose you could look up the "typical" torque values for similar sized bolts, but the real value depends on the head gasket used.

I stick with "good and tight, but must admit, I've tightend up the head bolts a couple of times over the years to slow down a slight weep near the water pump.

And, YES, when the valves settle or are ground in, the stem to cam clearance is reduced and MUST be restored by grinding the stem surface. Any good valve grinder (Sioux / BlackHawk etc) Is fitted with a stem grinder. Mine is.

Assemble everything dry, check the valve lash and record the measured values. Then remove all the "tight" valves and grind the stems the required amount to result in being on the high side of the tolerance. Reassemble and oil things up before starting the first time.

Gaps tend to close with wear on valves and seats rather than the stem.

MH55k
True Blue

Re: Cylinder head tension

Post by MH55k »

Right so replaced the head gasket and ground the valves and she runs lovely buttttt used 3/4 of a ltr Of felin 2 1/2 min something is not right here and winding the mixture screw right in does not starve her at all.I think I have found out why she is running,hot it is a ford zenith carb could the needle be damaged ?
1947 Massey Harris 55
1942 Massey Harris 82
1953 Mcormick Aos6
1946 E27N