Fordson F help

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
fred2873
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson F help

Post by fred2873 »

Hi,

Have just acquired a F to add to the other blue and orange Fordsons in the collection, but I do not know a lot about them.

I have looked above the manifold and can more or less make out the SN 171583. The last digit might not be 100% but will not alter the date I guess.

I was told on the sale field that it was a 1925 tractor, but I think the SN puts it earlier that that. I am sure somebody will put me correct on this.

Is this a Cork or Michigan tractor? Are there any feature differences that would help confirm it? It has a twin filler fuel tank that has Cork stamped in the end.

It has been converted to mag ignition at some stage in its life.

I will hopefully get a few photos loaded over the next few days.

Thanks in advance. I am sure there will be a heap of questions in the coming days.

Fred

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson F help

Post by Dandy Dave »

Looks like it is a Cork tractor. Looks to be 1923. Look here... http://home.gwi.net/~dclough/serialpage.html
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

fred2873
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fred2873 »

Hi,

I have tried to add some photo's but can't seem to work it out.

As it is a cork tractor should it have 2 fuel fillers on the tank?
the tank that is fitted is stamped Henry Ford and sons Cork Ireland.

Fred

fred2873
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fred2873 »

Hi,

will give photo's another go ;-)

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Looks like a nice F. The rear wheel/lug design is different than I see here in the states. I think the retractable lugs are very cool. 8) On the fuel cock. There should be a way to switch from the small tank to the large tank. These tractors were started on petrol/gasoline and switched to TVO/ Kerosene when they got hot. Before shutting them off, they were switched back for easier starting. If you cannot do that, then something is not quite right. With that said, the fuel cock looks like the ones I have seen on other Fordson "F"'s I have seen over here. I have seen where the location is different on different years sometimes. Some of the Fordson "F" models over here have the fuel cock more toward the center of the tank if memory serves me right. Seems like they were constantly changing things. Yours is in a good place as it would be least likly to vaporlock the way these tractor ran hot while working for a living. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

fred2873
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fred2873 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

It has a mixer tap similar to the N we have, but is slightly a different design. You can see it on one of the photos.
I have been told it has the wrong tank on as it should have had a separate petrol tank on but I do not know the old tractors well enough to be certain.

I have had it running on petrol so far but not experimented with paraffin yet.

Fred

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I think whoever told you the tanks are separate is getting too nit picking. All the "F's I have had, worked on, or seen at shows, had the same basic style of tank as yours. The petrol tank is inside of the larger tank. I though that the Hot Plate Carburetor was a later edition though. Seems to me it was introduced in 1926-27. No matter, it is a very nice Fordson F and I would not kick it out of the barn for a few minor details. Enjoy it as it is and have some fun. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

fred2873
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fred2873 »

Thanks Dave,

That is our intention.

Just want to do some tidying up jobs to make it run better and that will be it.

It won't tick over properly at the moment as it always wants to rev up. There seems a lot of play in the throttle mechanism so that will be the first place to look.

What plugs should it have in? Looks as though somebody has fitted tapered plugs as they are not screwed into the head fully?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The plugs are 1/2 inch pipe thread just like a Model T Ford. Champion X's back in the day. Should be right. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major