E27N Major 1950

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
NoelD
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N Major 1950

Post by NoelD »

Hi,

I am looking to know what might be the trouble with a E27N Fordson. It will not rev when I pull out the throttle but it will rev at the carburettor linkage. I fitted governor housing assembly - still same problem.

Thanks for any suggestions that you might have.

Noel

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: E27N Major 1950

Post by Dandy Dave »

Without the engine running. When you pull the throttle for speed does it open the the butterfly in the carburetor to full and close the butterfly when you are at slow/idle position. If you had the govenor off, maybe you have something together wrong. Should have a spring also. Maybe the spring is bad or missing? Photos would help. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Then engine should briefly rev when you pull out the throttle (governor really!) but as you are not loading the engine it is not using the governor. If you move the linkage at the carb then you are doing so after the governor so you are overriding the work of the governor. Have you tried taking it out for a run? Is there a difference on load (uphill) or on overrun (down hill no load)?.
I seem to remember being told that you must not move the carb linkage by hand as it causes wear on the governor weight pips.
If you dismantle the governor you will see little pints on the weights, these operate the carb linkage and if worn may cause poor governor response.
The Throttle you notice goes to the governor and not directly to the carb. Position of the throttle (governor rod) sets the governor to produce power/revs at a certain position. This then causes the governor to move the carb linkage as required due to the load applied to the engine.
Pips are available from Old20 parts co (Second line of this search page result:)
http://old20tractorparts.com/search?con ... it_search=

IMHO
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

The engine should rev up when the throttle is pulled back, providing the governor is assembled correctly and the throttle linkage is connected right.
Sounds like the governor is holding the throttle valve closed , had this happen on a 6HP petrol engine once, a spring or a rod was connected up wrong(to long ago to remember details).