Fordson Major ID Required

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
kitch02
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Major ID Required

Post by kitch02 »

Hi all,
Just joined up because I have just purchased a tractor I believe to be a super/power major. There is a ID plate on the firewall, with the code I339328. It is said that it has the 50hp diesel engine. Can anyone help to identify this tractor so as I am able to get the proper repair manual and operators manual for it. The PTO is engaged by a leaver on the left hand side above the clutch petal, light are mounted on the side of the radiator/nose cone, blue in colour with white rims (not that is any indication if it has been repainted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson Major ID Required

Post by Dandy Dave »

You should post this in the Fordson New Major section of this site. Running the number that you have comes up with December of 61, and a Super Major. Photos would also help. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Dandy Dave wrote:You should post this in the Fordson New Major section of this site. Running the number that you have comes up with December of 61, and a Super Major. Photos would also help. Dandy Dave!
Hi Dave
Not sure how you got that date from the numbers :? my book says may 1955 which would make it roughly 3 years before a power major and dead drive pto, long brake shafts and hyds like your power major :wink: .

The supers only had the engine number stamped on the block, and casting codes to date them. The plate on the bulkhead never had numbers stamped on it, only said made by fordson or something like that . I think the motor number on the bulkhead was done away with on the power majors, But it's minus 30oc here now and i'm not going out to look at my original one :cry: .
Like you say this needs posting on the other forum :idea: with some more info and the good old pictures :idea: . Hopefully this is not another tractor made by Mr Hienz and is a nice genuine 55 tractor :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I just coppied and pasted the number in the box here. http://www.selen.nu/cgi-bin/trsnr.pl?lang=en I'm not saying the info it spit back at me is right. My Power major does have the numbers on the block. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Dave
I just tried your link it won't even let me look :cry: , whats that saying about it can't be wrong it's on the net :lol: . I think I would trust the author of the book I have here, possibly more than that site, He did all the research with Fordson genuine info from guys of similar standing to our resident Guru Brian :wink: .
your engine number on the block is correct as it would be for the Super majors as well :) , you just don't have the corresponding number stamped on the plate on the bulk head.
It warmed up here and I checked mine yesterday :wink: . power majors full production started roughly at no 1481091 Supers at 1578886 for full production and the last blue grey super or as we know it in North America the Ford 5000 diesel ( not to be confused with the later world wide 6x &6y series ) started numbers with 08C in 1963 and finished with 08D in 1964. So assuming the tractor has an original motor and matching numbers on the motor and bulkhead plate the tractor is going to be a new Major if all the other parts are correct .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Try looking here

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... Major.html

You will need the codes "forsontractorpages" and "dotty" and you will find pictures of some of the main differences between the models.

As others have said, from your number your tractor is a 1955 Fordson Major Diesel which is rated at 42 hp. It could have a wide fan belt and will have no breather on the timing cover. You will also find your engine number on the flange behind the starter motor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian