1937 Fordson

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Rusty
Not Quite Blue Yet

1937 Fordson

Post by Rusty »

Hi Guys, New member here...... Just bought a 1937 Fordson N made in England and it runs pretty good but im going to need some help with a few things please.

First thing is Im trying to get the rear wheel/hub assembly off just to clean the spline and hub assembly, I only have one "push bolt" I am in need of a second one, its larger than the 4 bolts that attach the hub to the wheel, Fordson house does not have one. Not sure what thread it is yet, anybody know what thread this push bolt is? or where I can buy one?

Thanks......... :beer:

CalGG
True Blue

Re: 1937 Fordson

Post by CalGG »

I don't have any particular information, but you say you have one bolt, but need two.

Can't you measure the bolt you have?

Then purchase something similar at the hardware store?

I bet it's "Imperial" ;-)

Rusty
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rusty »

Yes sir I can, its not half as hard as the original....... take a big chance of mushrooming the end if its not hard enough then will have trouble getting it back out. It appears to be 22mm dia x 2.5mm pitch, 11 thread per inch.......... 21 dollars for a 5 inch bolt grade 8 OUCH :roll:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Rusty
Welcome to the forum and the world of old fordson tractors :) . As a farm mechanic and Fordson collector my self. I am a little concerned by your ouch comment on the $21 bolt :( . If you think that is expensive, I think you are in for a big shock at what any other parts you need or machining might cost if you can't do it your self.
Parts either have to be found locally used/made or shipped in from the U.K if not available here. I bet thats were anything new fordson house has for N's came from :wink: . And will be priced accordingly :eyes: :cry: :run:.
I have several later E27N's here and the parts cost for them is crazy, and not much round for used, from how many N's I' ve seen on my travels, I think there is even less of them around in North America :| .
Good luck with your project and please keep us updated :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

On the F's we use to use the same bolts that held the collar on. Go to a Caterpillar dealer. Grade 8 bolts at half the price or less. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Rusty
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rusty »

Robert, thanks for the reply and thank you for the welcome,
I am a mechanic and I have several friends that have old fordsons 1918-1960`s........ most parts I would need they have except for a few things. And one is this push bolt I am looking for, each friend has two, no extra...... bummer. Dandy Dave, never thought about a cat dealer.... didn't think metric bolts that big would be common there. Thank you fellas
PS Not concerned about part prices, just never paid 21 dollars for a "bolt" , I use bolts everyday just not at 21dollars each lol...

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi & Welcome

Try either turning grinding or filing a few turns of thread off the end of the bolt to just under root diameter, then when it mushrooms you can get it out without damaging the female thread.

Likewise but center drilling the end so you can trap a ball bearing ball in first tends to reduce friction (but increases mushrooming sometimes if bolt is overweakened)

Lubricate the threads with plumbers Tallow (or even better Tallow with graphite from sanding down a carpenters pencil 'lead') - best mixture for not seizing under load, always use it on bearing / gear pullers etc, if you can still get the candle type even better cos you just give the bolt a quick rub.

HTH & good luck with the restoration
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Rusty wrote:Robert, thanks for the reply and thank you for the welcome,
I am a mechanic and I have several friends that have old fordsons 1918-1960`s........ most parts I would need they have except for a few things. And one is this push bolt I am looking for, each friend has two, no extra...... bummer. Dandy Dave, never thought about a cat dealer.... didn't think metric bolts that big would be common there. Thank you fellas
PS Not concerned about part prices, just never paid 21 dollars for a "bolt" , I use bolts everyday just not at 21dollars each lol...
Hi thanks for the reply atleast we are all on the same page with mechanical skills, Daves a fair wizard on wrenches and old Iron as well :wink: .
one thing kinda baffles me a little why would a 1937 English tractor have metric bolts on the hub. I would of said it should be an imperial/ standard thread. Maybe 7/8" or a whitworth or some goofy thing like that :| . That is why that metric bolt is expensive this side, most north american stuff is standard thread from what i find thats built here up until recently. Back in the uk most modern stuff is metric now and standard bolts are the unusual ones to find, on the shelf in some cases :eyes: and can be expensive :cry:
Regards Robert

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

All the stuff from back in those days imported here are not metric. Me wonders if someone re-drilled and tapped them metric. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Rusty
Did some diggin on line with thread charts here tonight, I kinda remember from years ago that a metric and another old thread nearly crossed over on size. that metric course thread bolt is 10.2 TPI not 11from what I found. I did however find a chart size for a BSF( British standard Fine) bolt 7/8 dia that has 11 TPI so would be pretty close Pitch is roughly 1.4783 mm . Like Dave has now also said, it is not supposed to be metric like I figured at the start, unless it was goofed with .
Does somebody you know have that metric size tap to try, if thats not how you found out what size you think it is. you could be splitting hairs measuring thread depth in a hole and be a mm out pretty easily :idea: . I would kinda hate to see you buy that bolt start winding it in then find you may be wrong. Thats just another whole gong show a guy doesn't need on top of a stuck hub:cry: .
Regards Robert

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Metric will have a 60 degree thread angle so may well jam in 55 degree Imperial female thread (assuming UN series same angle as Whitworth, not near my 'bible' ATM) reverse situation (Imp bolt in Metric female thread) will have reduced hold.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Rusty
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rusty »

Thank you fellas I'll have a answer soon, stay tuned

Rusty
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rusty »

Thanks a lot fellas, well I went to Fastenal and tried the 22mm bolt and that's not it............
Its screwed about half way through the hub and started to bind up....... I`m not sure what the hell I have,
talked to one of my buddies and he said bring it over and he will solve my problem.... ok then, I went to his house expecting to try some bolts he had and yes we found one in a English set of hubs he had, he lent me one of his bolts so I could get mine apart but he wanted his bolt back. Well that's nice but that don't solve my problem of only owning one bolt when I need two......., so he goes digging around in his shed and comes out with 2 American hubs and handed them to me and said here change them over to these.. there 3/4 American course thread. Ok how much do I owe you?? NOTHING........ just take them, us fordson guys help each other he said..... Gotta love Fordson friends

I`m still going to keep these English hubs, someday I`ll find the correct bolt........ thanks for the help fellas im sure I need more advice from you guys :beer:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

3/4ths 10 T.P.I. American Course. That sounds about right. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major