Smiths hydraulic unit

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Smiths hydraulic unit

Post by Kevinmcd »

Hi all
Can anyone please tell me if the Smiths hydraulic unit can be used with my E27N P6 with Low ratio transmission
:D thanks
Kev

super6954
True Blue

Re: Smiths hydraulic unit

Post by super6954 »

Hi Kev
Yes it can I have one here in Canada with p6 4.3 and smiths unit, Biggest problem is you need the top drive unit for a 4.3 also. The gears are different from a 7.5 top drive unit so won't match up to the transmission, if that's what tractor it came from. Might be a bugger to find the correct drive if your unlucky :eyes: .
I don't have the gear counts you need to hand right now but will get back to you later.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Thanks Robert, I will see if I can find a top drive unit

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Kev
Found the info you need 4.3 ratio transmission low gear (tractor side) teeth should be 21 or 27 on 7.5 ratio trans, Lift drive housing teeth should be ,idler gear 26 or 23 teeth on 7.5 ratio, , pump Drive shaft gear should be the same for either speed at 29 teeth.

The Idler gear supports are different lengths also, the 4.3 ratio is 5 3/4 inch and the 7.5 is shorter at 5 1/4 inch approximate overall length( from radius'd end to far end of threads ).
The gear housing is the same for both ratio's ,Its just the 2 gears and idler support you need to make it work. The shaft length for smiths is the same for both ratio's at 13.84 inch. if you happened to go to a varley top ( 2 lever style) the shaft is longer at 18.44 inch, but use the same drive gears/ idler supports, and castings as above for the ratio's .
Hope that helps you a bit :) .
Regards Robert

Kevinmcd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kevinmcd »

Robert thanks very much for the info I have a top drive but it is for a high ratio box, looking at your info, if I exchange the gears for correct ratio cogs the unit should be transferable
thanks once again
Kev :D

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Kev
Not a problem, Don't forget you need to change the idler supports as well. Changing the gear ratio means you need the longer supports for the gears to fit properly :wink: .
Good luck in your search, please let us know how you get on :) .
Regards Robert

Dafydd
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dafydd »

Hi Kevin,

Following reading your previous posts about the drive unit, I am converting my E27N which is a low ratio 4.3 to a 7.7 High Speed. I am after a Smiths hydraulic unit drive as you mention in your previous posts to replace the 4.3 drive I have currently. I believe the high top gear has 23 teeth compared to the low top which has 26?
If you know of a high top drive gear it would be appreciated.

Regards

Dafydd