engine misfiring

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Kirbust
Not Quite Blue Yet

engine misfiring

Post by Kirbust »

I sent my fordson e1a e27n new major over to a friends to get the finger bar mower fixed, got it fixed and tractor came back home, did some mowing roadside on my land then took the tractor into a field of mine and it was going well at the start but then the engine started misfiring with reams of black smoke coming out the exhaust stack then the tractor just died on its own, with another tractor I got it restarted, continued mowing for a few more minutes then noticed the mower wasn't cutting so took the tractor up my lane for it to again start misfiring and again it quit, jump started it again & got home put it where I wanted it and it was misfiring like mad and more thick black smoke came out of it for a few seconds then it quit again like it had no fuel but it does, anyone got any ideas what is wrong with it?....;lI am looking for ideas/suggestion anything tht might help resolve this as that tractor was until today a very reliable old unit
thanks in advance

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: engine misfiring

Post by Dandy Dave »

Which Engine?
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Kirbust
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kirbust »

the 4 cylinder diesel with pnuematic<sp?> simms injection pump, tractor was dated as a 1954 tractor by this club, you can see the data on it in other posts, anyway the misfiring only happens when nearly at or at full operating temperature, as that happens it lets out black smoke for a few seconds before it shuts down and when it shuts down its kind of like someone pulling the fuel shut off knob out and also as it starts misfiring it makes a funny clacking sound which makes me wonder about the injection pump oil level, how do I check that just to eliminate that as a possibility?......right after it stops itself from running I must admit it is a right royal bear to get a restart until its had at least 10-20 minutes sit time yet the engine is not overheating as proven by being able to comfortably put ones hand on the engine block or radiator, also I best state that it seems to run fine when cold and only started acting like this today, before that I would have said it was a very reliable tractor

Kirbust
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kirbust »

I am sorry I see that I got this into the wrong forum, should have been the new major forum, my apologies

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The confusing part is when you wrote E1A and E-27-N. E-27-N's have been fitted with a variety of motors. Sounds like you are starving for fuel. First, be sure you are getting a full flow out of the tank to the primary pump. And then though the filter and into the injection pump. I had similar symptoms with my FPM when a piece of leave was floating around in the tank. Drove me nuts until I siphoned all the fuel from the tank and then poured the fuel back in using a funnel and paint filter. That was when the piece of leave reviled it's self. Have not had a problem since. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Air intake hose soft somewhere and collapsing ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes