e27n

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
chriss
True Blue

e27n

Post by chriss »

I've seen a e27n for sale seller says h on backend means high top gear I thought it meant could fit hydraulics

tmc
True Blue

Re: e27n

Post by tmc »

chriss wrote:I've seen a e27n for sale seller says h on backend means high top gear I thought it meant could fit hydraulics
Fairly sure it means h/duty top plate !

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Hello,
That "H" is on most if not all E27n's that I have seen, the best way to tell what gearbox ratio the tractor in question has is to look at the bellhousing where the engine meets the gearbox it will have stamped into it one of the following;
4:3 means low geared
7:5 "Special Ratio"
7:7 High Speed

I have a 2, P6 E27N's with 4:3 back end's thay are slow but will pull a house down
My Dad has a Petrol E27N with the 7:5 "Special Ratio" (it sates on the brass plate) that is not too bad for a petrol engined tractor
and I also have a E27N with an Perkins L4 with the 7:7 gearbox and that is the best for on the road

if it is the tractors original gearbox the brass tag on the front side of the dash under the fuel tank should state the same ...

Hope this may help
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

IMHO the H at the rear of the gearbox was to indicate that it was strengthened so a hydraulics unit could be bolted on.
Once owned an L4, went like a train!
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's