Stops after starting

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
KEN8189
Not Quite Blue Yet

Stops after starting

Post by KEN8189 »

My E27N starts well, half turn on full choke, half turn on half choke and away she goes and runs well. dies quickly after couple of minutes and has to cool right down before it starts again. Mag is recon and good.
When it stops I can turn open carb drain and fuel comes out. Don't think there is a blockage as there is a slight leak round bowl. Can take carb off and use on my other tractor as last resort but don't like upsetting gaskets etc.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Stops after starting

Post by Dandy Dave »

May be some partial blockage on the fuel bowl end, or in the line that feeds it. Also, some of these old models have a screen fitted to the fitting that screws into the carburetor. That may need to be cleaned. It only takes a little spec of trash to cover the top of the needle and seat to starve the motor for fuel. Pull the line off at the carburetor and see if you have sufficient fuel flow. If not then the blockage is up stream, If so, the problem is down stream. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Post by SkidRoe »

Is it a gasoline only or TVO carburetor / vapourisor? I assume that it is running on gasoline when this happens, correct?

Did this just start happening, or has it developed / got worse over time?

Cheers - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

I had a similar problem on mine, it turned out to be the line from the petrol tank to the sediment bowl. When the previous owner had fitted the line, the olive was about 10mm from the pipe end. When the pipe was nipped up, the pipe end was butting against the casing and restricted the petrol flow. 2 minutes with a hacksaw and problem solved. I found it by taking all the pipes off and pouring petrol into the tank. As each section was proved to flow freely I connected the next section up until I found the restriction.

:beer: Hope your fix is as easy.
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60