Fordson F rear wheels

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
fred2873
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson F rear wheels

Post by fred2873 »

Hi,

I am looking for some information about some rear wheels fitted to a 1923 F that we have bought.

I was wondering if they have been a local conversion or if they were available as a retrofit item in the past.

They are 7 spoke rims, but it looks like they have been converted to have adjustable height cleats that lock in and out with bolts.

Any info greatly appreciated

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fordson F rear wheels

Post by Dandy Dave »

A lot of after market stuff was available for these tractors back in the day. Looks like the wheels were modified for these to fit. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Fordson F rear wheels

Post by oehrick »

I've seen a variety of quick adjusting spuds over the years but nothing like these -

Avelings of Rochester and Holmes of Norwich used a very similar idea for traction engine hind wheels

If it was local to Boston perhaps it was a mod for use on the peat fens ? The wheels themselves look about right for the tractor so my money would be on an inventive blacksmith or dealer stripping the original cleats off then getting busy with a sledge and side chisel or gas axe for the 'letter boxes'.

A nice and unusual feature

Give my regards to the Stump & Maude Foster Mill, I bet its a bit bit bleak and windy tonight :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes