Snow moving escapades

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
CalGG
True Blue

Snow moving escapades

Post by CalGG »

Started up the E27n this afternoon. The battery was a bit sluggish, but an hour on the 6 amp charge got things spinning in spite of the 20 F temps.

I needed to pull the old gal out of her winter rest in order to truss her up with wheel chains. "Just can't get around without them./
The chains went on OK, but they seem to get heavier and heavier each year.

For those with good recall, you might remember the tractor was fitted with an angle Western snow plow a couple of years back.

Well, to get the chains settled, and give the Fordson something to remember, I went about the roads and drives pushing back the banks. One can't clear the drives when the banks are so high as to dump the snow right back behind the passing blade.

Well, Wouldn't you know, I got a bit too close to the edge at one point, and the front wheels started over and down. In spite of the brakes being applied in a panic stop, the old gal flowed like molasses over the edge. The rear wheels just a fraction from making the plunge as well. Stuck! and pointed down hill at about a 35 degree angle. Sure glad I filled the fuel tank! ;-) She kept running fine, though I did worry about oil pickup for the mains.

I walked to the house and asked my ever so helpful wife if she would drive the Hurlimann and see if we could pull the Fordson out of her predicament. That didn't go so well, as my wife get's all flustered around machinery. No harm though!

I went back to the shed and grabed the 50 foot lenth of 1/2 wire. A few length of chain and the 1-1/2 ton chain pull.

Hooked up in double purchase to two stout hemlock trees, with a good Navy surplus pulley at the turn, the pull out was cold... slow.. and dead reliable. An inch gained was never given back! But it was everything in hand to get that two feet needed to correct the misplaced front end.

Took about an hour, flopping about in deep snow .

Everything is put back, the snow banks are in better shape than at the start. The Fordson battery is on the charger (that plow takes a lot of amps to move that blade.)
The chain pull is down by the wood stove drying out.

All is well

Happy Happy!

Cheers

Cal in Vt

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Snow moving escapades

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yup. This is one year for Cold and snow back here in the States. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major