Starting at 50 F

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
CalGG
True Blue

Starting at 50 F

Post by CalGG »

Sort of a follow up of the cold weather start comments not long ago

I had need to pull a rather large maple tree out of it's jamb yesterday. So I turned to the trusty Fordson.
Opening the fuel cock (it's always too tight, I really need to slacken that packing nut) Then up onto the operators station. pull the choke , set the throttle out a few clicks.
(the magneto advance is no longer operational after fitting the WICO mag)
Turn the starter switch, the engine didn't crank two full revs before it lit off! Smile on my face as I jockeyed the machine out of the barn.

The maple is all sawed up, splitting comes next ;-)

super6954
True Blue

Re: Starting at 50 F

Post by super6954 »

Hi
My dad always talks of an E27N, and an N they had in the day . He always says if they weren't running after 3 up pulls on the handle something was wrong. I never really believed him. When I got my E27N , It had plug and wire issues, I fixed that and it still wouldn't start right, Dad came and played with it for 1/2 hour in the workshop. Guess he was right he got it tuned to 3 pulls and running :D .
Mine has an electric start to, I find that works way better than the Handle to :wink: , But hey the old ways good for fun to prove a point with some green guys round here, with the starting "performance" of some 2cyl petrols :eyes: :run:.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

CalGG
True Blue

Re: Starting at 50 F

Post by CalGG »

Yes, When the frame for the front snow blade went on, It made hand starting impossible. I had only hand cranked for the prior 20 years.

Plus, the self contained Western plow hydraulics needs a good battery and charging system. Combine that with the frequent need to push snow during wintertime darkness (Lights!) And there you have it.

I needed to get the self starter up to snuff.

Now, If I could just remember to slide out the hydraulic pump gear before trying to crank the engine on those coldest days.