Needing info on toe in for best steering effort E27n

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
CalGG
True Blue

Needing info on toe in for best steering effort E27n

Post by CalGG »

The front end on my E27n (Row crop with adjustable axle) has been "hard" ever since I re-bushed the spindles. I've considered adding power assists as much as an engineering nightmare that would be. Up on jacks, the steering is light as a feather.

I need to widen the front one notch sometime soon, and that would be the time to set the toe.
Any ideas of a useful setting? I'm thinking 3/8 to 1/2 inch toe-in at the tire.

Steering links are all sound with no lost motion to speak of.

Comments and wisdom?

super6954
True Blue

Re: Needing info on toe in for best steering effort E27n

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I don't think you can alter the toe settings on a major. The tie rod ends are grooved at set intervals up in the tube where the pinch bolt goes through, and those grooves correspond to the axle width settings for the wheels being parallel at all axle widths.

if you say it steers fine with the weight off I would suspect the thrust bearings at the bottom of the king pin housings, could be binding up under load, they wear or don't grease right when you do the king pin grease.
Maybe if you got a tire with out the 3 ribs on, its the increased drag there to caused by tire surface area. You say you have no play in the tie rod ends, I did have a major once that had wear . it would steer fine going backwards but forwards, you couldn't steer. when going from back to forwards if you watched you could see the toe alter on the wheels. the other question is what are the old king pins like for wear with new bushings, that could be throwing the settings to. If you got new king pins the splines could be out to, with the land of not quite right parts.
I don't know how heavy the steering is it could just be the way it is one mans heavy might be totally different to anothers. maybe this is a a long shot that the steering box could bind up under load to if somethings not lubed right or worn to.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.