N Calorimeter / temperature gauge thread

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Phyliss S
Not Quite Blue Yet

N Calorimeter / temperature gauge thread

Post by Phyliss S »

Good afternoon,
I have recently bought a 1944 Standard N fitted with a rear mounted Automower winch. Whilst most bits are there it is lacking the calorimeter / temperature gauge & hence whilst waiting for a reasonably priced one to turn up i was going to bung the hole with something suitable.

Therefore i just wondered if anyone knew what thread the calorimeter's were so that I can pre cut the thread. I had read somewhere that 1/2" BSP was correct but wanted to make sure as some slight filling / drilling may be needed prior to tapping.

Many Thanks for any help.

Regards, Philip

CalGG
True Blue

Re: N Calorimeter / temperature gauge thread

Post by CalGG »

I wish I could advise.

My own E27n had the port plugged with a bolt when I got it. On removal of the bolt, The threads were nearly gone.
I chased down with 3/8ths NTP, and set the "late model" Stainless Steel, 90 degree angle, 0-240 degree F, thermometer in with sealant

It works a treat. I even have a spare in case I shear this one off when in the woods.

Phyliss S
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Phyliss S »

CalGG wrote:I wish I could advise.

My own E27n had the port plugged with a bolt when I got it. On removal of the bolt, The threads were nearly gone.
I chased down with 3/8ths NTP, and set the "late model" Stainless Steel, 90 degree angle, 0-240 degree F, thermometer in with sealant

It works a treat. I even have a spare in case I shear this one off when in the woods.

Thank you for letting me know. 3/8" was my next choice of tap although i may only tap it to BSP not NPT. Worse case, once i've found a new thermometer is that i have to drill out again & fit an adaptor.

I did clean the hole yesterday with a file but no thread is there, perfectly round. I presumed, going by photos that the thermometer was brass but again there's no sign of this in the casting. Just an iron hole.

PeterS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by PeterS »

Hello,
When I rebuilt my E27N I found the calormeter was fairly tight coming out so I measured the TPI and diameter of the thread and found it to be 9/16UNF. I chased the thread in the rad out with a tap of this size and the gauge screwed in nicely.
I hope this helps.
Peter.